Boston Butt for New Year's Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sir_McGyver

Original poster
Dec 2, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I decided to throw a boston butt in the smoker for our New Year's day dinner. I followed Bearcarver's instructions on his Step-by-Step page ( Pulled Boston Pork Butt (265°--Oct 21, 2018) foiled )

Thursday afternoon, I pulled out the meat and started the prep work. I first made up my rub from the ingredients shown. Basically, a cup or two of brown sugar, then one tablespoon of the other ingredients shown. I took the thyme and basil and after measuring it out, I crushed it up finer in my hand to get more of it on the meat.

pulledpork001.jpg

Next, I sliced the fat pad and slathered yellow mustard on all sides of the meat.

pulledpork003.jpg
pulledpork004.jpg

Next, applying the rub to all sides of the pork and putting it in the foil pan. I didn't have a rack small enough for the pan, so I made foil balls to keep the pork off the bottom and out of the juice. Then it was into the fridge to rest overnight until it was time to start the show.

pulledpork005.jpg
pulledpork006.jpg

After applying the rub and in the morning before it goes out to the smoker
Time: 0430...outside temp...37 degrees. Time to start up the smoker and get the pellets going. I used Lumber Jack Apple wood pellets that I got online from BBQPelletsOnline.com...(NOTE: this is not a plug for them or am I shilling for them, just stating what I used). I had purchased one of their sample packs with several different types of wood pellets and hadn't used the apple wood yet. I filled up the AMNPS to get the proper amount, then put the pellets in a container and nuked them for 3 minutes. I read that some do this, others don't, but I found that they tend to burn all the way to the end if I do it, so I'm not going to jinx it.

pulledpork008.jpg

Okay, into the smoker and let the fun begin...At 0800 I put the temp probes into the pork. I used two to get an average temp of the meat. Here are my average Temp Readings

0800 - 123 IT
0837 - 135 IT
0900 - 139 IT
0930 - 146 IT
1000 - 154 IT
1030 - 159 IT
1100 - 163 IT
1130 - 166 IT
1200 - 162 IT (This is when I added the apple juice, and foiled the pan. I had to readjust the temp probes to put the foil on, hence the lower temp)

pulledpork010.jpg

Meat at 1200 - just before I added the apple juice and foil - Probe ends are covered with tinfoil to keep them from getting discolored by the smoke)
1230 - 165 IT
1300 - 171 IT
1342 - 183 IT
1400 - 190 IT
1425 - 196 IT
1447 - 201 IT
1500 - 203 IT (turned the temp down to 150 degrees and let the pork sit in the smoker until 1600 hrs.)
1600 - 201 IT

Here is the pork butt after I pulled it from the smoker and am getting ready to start shredding the meat. The bark was heavenly and the wife's favorite part.

pulledpork011.jpg

The drippings were poured off into containers to allow the fat to harden. After it was shredded and put into a holding container, I poured some of the drippings back onto the meat to help keep it moist.

pulledpork012.jpg

The bone came out easily, and the meat shredded with no problems
The wife made potato salad to go with the pork and here is a pic of my plate before I dug in...Pulled pork with a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce and potato salad...Guess what we are having for dinner tonight? :emoji_wink:

pulledpork013.jpg

A shout out to Bearcarver for his amazing instructions and tips...You help a novice like me turn out some very wonderful work.

That PP looks great. You'll never go wrong using Bears instructions.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky