Bone-in Pork Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdawg

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2011
Riverview, FL
Picked up a 7.8 lb Bone-in Pork Shoulder on sale at Safeway a couple months ago, so I threw it in the freezer.
I thawed it in the fridge over the last 5 days or so.
Unlike most who use yellow mustard as the rub binder, I usually like to use Barbecue Sauce instead, but today, I thought I'd try a new twist
by using a thin coat of Yoshida's as a binder instead of the usual. You can get Yoshida's pretty much any grocery store around here, or online at Wally World or Amazon.

My pork rub is:

1 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoons hot paprika
2 tablespoon black pepper
2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional or crank up the heat by adding more)

The plan is 220F until internal hits 165, then wrap.
250F wrapped until internal hits 190, then unwrap.
275F unwrapped with a little finishing sauce until internal hits 203.

Here it is when I first put it into the pellet smoker. You can see the tube smoker on the right that I use to enhance the smoke.
porkshoulder1.jpg
yoshidas.jpg

3 hrs in. Internal temp is 132F. I raised the smoker to 250, but will continue to wait till 165F before wrapping.
porkshoulder2.jpg

Reactions: Wurstmeister
ok, it hit 165, so now I've wrapped them and will remove the wrap when it hits 190 or so.
Wife wants to eat around 7, so I'm going to raise the temp to 275 while wrapped to speed things up a little.
porkshoulder4.jpg

And here's the boring pic of it wrapped
porkshoulderWrapped.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, it hit 195F internal. I unwrapped it and sauced it. It's back in for the final 30 min or so run to 203-205
porkshoulderUnWrapped.jpg

Reactions: 912smoker
It looks good. We used to have a member that used Yoshida's with everything he smoked and I mean pretty much everything lol

Reactions: bdawg
Thanks for "listening" everybody-
It finished up at 203, and I pulled it and served. Wife loved it.
It tasted great, was nice and moist, and it had a nice smoke ring on it.
I'll be honest, the Yoshida's didn't come through all that much. But it was a fun experiment.

Here are the final photos, first when it hit 203 and I took it out:
porkshoulderDone.jpg

The second after I was part way done pulling it:
porkshoulderPulled.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky