block smoker in progress!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caddy1313

Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Just started building the mac daddy (hopefully) smokehouse.   decided to build it out of masonary mostly as this is my area of expertise.   Here are a few pics of the first day of construction and I'll try to keep it updated as i go and maybe u guys can give me any tips u might have as this will be my first large scale smoker build.   pretty sure I have the basic construction part under control but not real sure about the wiring of the elements and sizes and what not.   I will be using electric for the heat and would like to just use 3 1000 watt burners all wired to thier own control so hopefully I can make that work .  i guess there is only one way to
7e38bdd9_IMG_03001.jpg
62b580a8_IMG_02991.jpg

find out haha.   the smoker will be 4x6x6 outside dimensions.   the box on the side will have a small hotplate burner and be for making the smoke i plan to pipe in the side for cold smoking.  the burners inside will provide the heat.  let me know what u think guys and nice to meet ya all!!

welcome1.gif
   Glad to have you with us!

You should go over to the roll call section & introduce yourself

so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome!

I'm not sure I understand how your build will come together.

What is the wooden box for?

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to  your first qview. 
icon14.gif

I know its hard to picture someone elses crazy brainstorms in just a few sentences so I'll just try to keep the pics comin as i get things done.  the wooden box is gonna be for like a smoke chamber.  there is gonna be a pretty big door on the front and I dont want to have to be opening the door to add wood for smoke so the seperate box will be easy to add smoke from there without letting all me heat out of the smoker in the cold months.  Plus will function as a cold smoker in the summer months.   the dimension are 4x6x6 and i have talked to a few guys on here and they kinda steered me away from electric so i think Im going to devise a propane burner system

Quote:
It is early to see but it seems small inside. Where are the heaters, shelves vents going?
The box you are looking at in the picture is for the fire box from where smoke will be piped into the smoke chamber. The smoke chamber where the shelves & vents go is going to be built on the concrete pad.

I know its hard to picture someone elses crazy brainstorms in just a few sentences so I'll just try to keep the pics comin as i get things done.  the wooden box is gonna be for like a smoke chamber.  there is gonna be a pretty big door on the front and I dont want to have to be opening the door to add wood for smoke so the seperate box will be easy to add smoke from there without letting all me heat out of the smoker in the cold months.  Plus will function as a cold smoker in the summer months.   the dimension are 4x6x6 and i have talked to a few guys on here and they kinda steered me away from electric so i think Im going to devise a propane burner system

OK I'm beginning to understand. So the fire box will be concrete & the smoke chamber will be in the wooden box, right?

sorry for the delay guys its been a slow go lately cause i have been so busy.  Anyhow, since the last post I have gottten the roof poured, the door built and most of the vents and piping ran in.    I just got my new maverick 732 so all that is left is the burner system which i'm hoping to have installed by this weekend.  here are some pics let me know what ya think guys
f46614a1_IMG_03181.jpg
f3abf6ba_IMG_03301.jpg
c0d1c449_IMG_03311.jpg
d75d2261_IMG_03321.jpg

they arent filled with concrete but i did fill them with a hollow wall masonary insulation called perlite.   the roof was pretty simple I laid a piece of currugated steel on top of the blocks and just made a simple form out of 2x4's to create an over hang and then just bucketed pre mixed concrete up there.  It all seems to work pretty well so far!

That is great, Looks good, I will keep watching as this is what I am looking to do this spring. Great work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky