Black Dip...or Black BBQ sauce Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ksmith9

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 8, 2020
Howdy yall,

for about the past 3 years I have been trying to recreate some of the bbq sauces I have had in the past that were incredible. I had 2 that I can't forget, one from a friend that I moved away from :(. And another from a place down in Oregon that is no longer around. What they both had in common were a more dark color. I got the book "Project Smoke", and used the basis of the Black Dip recipe in their and I have come to the understanding that the type of sauces I like are the black type. I think it's because I am not a big fan of overly ketchupy sauces or the Eastern Carolina vinegar style, So i have been doing a base of the following:
1 cup Tomato Sauce
1 cup Worchesterchire Sauce
1 cup of water

And than I add different fragrances like whole cloves, OP, GP, S&P, Soy Sauce, a little ACV, etc. I have found that I am on the right path but I figured I can't be the only one whose tastebuds gravitate towards these flavors. I figured I would reach out to you wonderful people and see if anyone has been making a black type sauce and what they may do different. Recently I tried replacing the cup of water with a cup of pineapple juice and that was really good, but I feel like I am missing an herb or something else. If anyone has a good black bbq sauce type recipe or suggestions please don't hesitate!

Looks like all you missing is more Vinegar and a bit of Brown Sugar for balance. Several recipes add a bit of Nutmeg and/or Allspice instead of Clove. The rest of you add-ons are perfect. A search of West Kentucky Black Dip, resulted in several recipes...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky