Black Bear & Cheddar Pepperoni and Black Bear & Cheddar snack Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwaytkus

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 9, 2013
Hudson Falls, NY
Well decided to make up another batch of Bear Pepperoni and decided to also make some snack sticks as I only had enough Pepperoni Seasoning left to do 6 lbs.

Meat mixture consisted of:
7 lbs Black Bear
5 lbs pork shoulder
2 lbs Fatty pork.

Used Sausage Maker Pepperoni seasoning with soy protein powder.
Legs old Plantation Snack Stick seasoning with non-fat dry milk added.

Cure #1 added to the mixes with water.

3 bricks of Sharp Cheddar Cheese (I wanted extra cheesy this time).

Natural 32 mm hog casings for the Pepperoni and 19mm cologen for the sticks.

Normal process. Grind through course plate twice with seasoning added between mixes. Stuff and in the fridge overnight. Next day into my MES Analog with PID set at 110 for an hour or so to dry. Bumped 10 degrees every hour to a max temp of 175. Smoke was applied with my AMNPS and apple pellets.

Half the Pepperoni dried in a brown paper bag for 5 days and the rest is gonna go another 5-7 to really harden up.

Picture time!!

That's awesome!

You are sure to take those to an IT of 165F correct?  My understanding is that is mandatory with bear.  

I have to do it with my feral hog sausages, they get into too much nasty stuff and are known carriers of all kinds of parasites.  

I would love to try some black bear sometime :)

Yes sir 165 internal temp. Although I have read 137 was the magic temp to go above to kill Tricinosis.

Here is a good read on Bear and feral pigs. I found other resources that said the same as well.

https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/
165F will do it.

A while back I posted the USDA guidelines and documentation for wild game.  You can find the post here if you ever have any questions :)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...perature-cooking-guidelines-and-documentation

Dang it man that looks good,,, With adding NFDM and the soy were they really moist?? 

POINT for some fine looking sticks 

A full smoker is a happy smoker,,,,, is your smoker happy 

DS

165F will do it.

A while back I posted the USDA guidelines and documentation for wild game.  You can find the post here if you ever have any questions :)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...perature-cooking-guidelines-and-documentation
I've also seen that page.  

Dang it man that looks good,,, With adding NFDM and the soy were they really moist?? 

POINT for some fine looking sticks 

A full smoker is a happy smoker,,,,, is your smoker happy 

DS

I typically use NFDM for all my sausages however the Pepperoni came with soy so I used that up.  Because this was wild game and Bear to boot and had to achieve a higher internal temp they were not really moist but still had moisture.  They came out perfect!   

How did you like the pepperoni mix ? I have some from sausage maker but not tried it yet .

How did you like the pepperoni mix ? I have some from sausage maker but not tried it yet .

I really like their mix. My personal preference is to slightly over season with it as it's a bit mild if you measure it exact. Example 5 lbs of meat but use seasoning for 5 1/2lbs.

Did you use high temp cheese? If not did you just dice it up and put it into the meat mixture?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky