Big Problems here! How long can cooked meat sit at room temp before its bad?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Ok I have a major issue going on this morning. Yesterday I smoked a great Prime Rib for Xmas and it turned out great. As the in-laws were heading home we cut the remaining roast in 1/3's so everyone could take some a nice chunk of meat for later. Well the meat was still hot so I wrapped min in foil and set it on the counter to cool. Well I come out this morning and what do I see on the counter???? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the prime rib as been sitting out all night.  I know the safe and probably correct answer is to throw it so you don't get sick but hey this is some great prime rib. I wouldn't dare serve it to anyone else but do you think I dare eat it? At this point I am SO pissed that I don't even care if I get sick I just want to eat some more for lunch. Ok set me straight here should I just face the ugly truth and throw it or do I dare eat some. It was cooked to 140 and it was hot going into the triple wrapped foil so it would have stayed above the danger zone for a while but still we are talking almost 12 hours of sitting out on the counter. I know what the answer is but I just wanted to see what the rest of you guys would do in this situation?

Last edited:
Personally I would error on the safe side but I dont have the scientific answer. I alway had heard that 4 hours was the safe time but not sure where I heard that

Man I hate when that happens! Personally I'd toss it...I know it's not easy to do but why take the chance...12 hours is a long time.

On a side note I use to leave meat out all the time and eat it the next morning but that was before I knew better.

I hope I was of some help to ya. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Last edited:
Sorry RB,

I would have to say the danger zone works in reverse too---4 hours from 140˚ back to 40˚, with maybe a little cheating on the edges, but 12 hours is much too long.

I would seriously miss your posts on this forum, so don't chance it!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky