Better Late Than Never Thanksgiving!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oh man, the Thanksgiving meal looked perfect! And then you improved upon perfection with that Wellington!!!

Very nicely done!

Ok, so do to our kitchen remodel (doing it our selves) and the fact that the kitchen wasn’t fully functional till late Thursday night our big turkey feast got a little pushed back...... and it was well worth the wait!!!

The first coarse started of with a slice of pecan streusel pumpkin pie that my wife made last night.....the pie was also joined by a piece baklava that my daughter made (both of them when nuts having two ovens.....
View attachment 472945
Now this is a proper breakfast for a thanksgiving day (late) feast!
View attachment 472935

Next just a shot of my wife making homemade croutons from her focaccia bread she made yesterday. Man you could make a feast out of this little rosemary, thyme, and oregano season little jewels!
View attachment 472936

So the BIG star of the show would be the fresh 20 lber......the plan was to do the cook at 325 on the pellet. The initial thought was it would take about 4-4.5 hours.....on it went....
View attachment 472937

The only problem is an hour in I’m like snap this thing is going to be done in 3 hours tops.....agh.....so why you may ask would a full turkey get done so quick.....well I experimented with my partial backbone removal for the cook....
View attachment 472942
This allows for real healthy air flow through the bird cavity.......so after hearing that my wife needed 3 hours for rolls I promptly jumped up and dropped the smoker temp to 235 to stall the cook!!

I let it roll there for about 2 plus hours then bumped it back up to 325 for the last 45 min....pulled IT breast 160 legs/thigh 180, and wings at 185.....and to my surprise it turned out the bomb!
View attachment 472938
I think I’ve discovered a new way to do the turkey! Total cook time 4 hours with 30 min untented rest time.
View attachment 472939

And finally the better late than never feast!
View attachment 472940
All is good now and nothing but happy memories!
View attachment 472941
How did you do the mashed potatoes and gravy?

Oh man, the Thanksgiving meal looked perfect! And then you improved upon perfection with that Wellington!!!

Very nicely done!

Many thanks xray! I can say all the work to get there was worth it!

How did you do the mashed potatoes and gravy?

OK here it goes....be prepared to read a book.......

airyleech, we use Gordon Ramsey's mash recipe from his Hells Kitchen Cook Book. They have butter, crème fraiche, and the salted water the potatoes were boiled in. They are put through a ricer and then mixed together with a mixer. My wife also covers them and then bakes them for at least another 20 min @350 to make them extra smooth and silky....GR's cookbook is worth it just for his mash recipe!

The gravy is two different stocks. The base stock is a French technique...It is made by taking the legs, thighs, wings, neck, and whole backbone structure from a cut up whole turkey. I save the breasts for another cook. I also remove the nasty stuff from the back bone. The wing and leg bones are chopped through and then everything is washed clean. They are placed in a 12 qt stock pan then covered with bottled water. This is brought to a light simmer very slowly and once simmering the top is skimmed to removed nasty stuff. This is then very lightly simmered (covered) for at least 12 hours. After that about 1.5 cups each of onion, carrots, celery are added along with a sachet (small cloth baggie) of fresh spices (rosemary, sage, thyme, 3 cloves of garlic, bay leaf, pepper corns). The veg and spices are simmered for about 1 hour to 1 hour 20min no more. If they go soft and mushy they add a bitter overtone. At this point a large screen spoon is used to VERY carefully remove the veg and bones. Once removed the stock is strained through double thick cheese cloth. The end result should be CLEAR stock (NOT cloudy). Oh and no salt at all. That is added to the dish. This clean stock is packed with flavor and will turn into jelly when cooled.

The gravy is made by reducing the stock a bit more and thickened with a butter flour roux (1/3c each - paper bag dark). I also add the turkey drippings if I catch them. This year I didn't catch them so I put the partial back bone, and neck from the second turkey in a pan under the broiler. When they were nice and brown I added a couple cups of the above stock and then let that cook down for about 40 min. Then I add some more stock and about a cup each of the veg and spices above and roast that at 375 for another hour, then it is strained with a fine kitchen screen and added to the roux thickened stock. That mixture is then seasoned with S&P and if a little extra thickness is needed a little bit of starch slurry is used (ONLY a little bit and make sure you boil it after to cook it in). As an FYI, I believe gravy should only be thick enough to coat a spoon but thick enough no to run off when you wipe your finger down the middle of the back of the spoon. This allows the gravy to go into the meat and other items rather than just coat them.

The second day gravy was a dirty gravy...I took the remaining bones from the smoked turkey and then they were just boiled (a mid boil) for 8 hours. This stock was added to the original gravy and thickened with more roux. It seems like a LOT of work, but this second day, two turkey gravy is flavor like none other!!!! Usually, we use the second day gravy to make turkey tetrazzini (this is better than the original turkey in my book), but this year we did the Turkey Welly.......

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
The stock looks amazing!

I will add that this stock isn’t just for turkey day. The extra is put into freezer bags to be saved for future meals!
55A20E3B-F166-4C2A-B94D-39E1F255188C.jpeg

That is one busy recipe Civil. But well worth the work of course. Excellent write up.

thanks MJB! It is very busy but I do it every year cause this stock is also used in the focaccia sausage dressing as well. The bone marrow extraction from the long simmer is magic! I learned the Stock technique from Jacques Pepin’s cook book back in the early 90s! So been doing it this way for nearly 30 years now..... Jacques taught that you first must master making a pure stock then sauces and once these are mastered then you can move on to cooking dishes.......

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky