1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best pellets? Got a traeger.

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by Erick, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Erick

Erick Newbie

So, researching on Amazon I've come to find out that all traeger pellets are oak with oils...

With that said, what brand should I be looking at?

I upstaged from a 10 year old mes30. I loved that little son of a bitch. I treated it horrible and it refused to die

2. forktender

forktender Smoking Fanatic

The best I have found for better smoke flavor are the Lumber Jack pellets Rural King $9.00 for 20 lbs.
    If you don't have a rural king near you buy them from Dick's they price match.
    I just saved the rural king page in my phone and at checkout at Dick's tell them you want them to match the price. I've never had a problem with them price matching prices at Dick's, their price they want $15 for them until the price match.
    They are way better then the treager pellets.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    sweetride95 likes this.
  3. Erick

Erick Newbie

Awesome man. I'm going to do exactly that. Thanks a bunch.

forktender likes this.
  4. jake0531

jake0531 Meat Mopper

Lumberjack is only pellet I use

5. +1 for Lumberjack.

6. Erick

Erick Newbie

They only had competition blend. I grabbed 3 bags Thanks for the heads up. I had to go to dicks.

Thanks for the tip.

7. Erick

Erick Newbie

I contacted rural king. They guy said they offer free shipping a few times a year. I'll probably do a huge order when that comes about.

8. bregent

bregent Master of the Pit OTBS Member

If you are planning a 'huge' order, you may be better off ordering from bbq pellets online. They will put a group buy together for you, and you will need to commit to 500#. Prices shipped to California are about 38 cents/lb, but if you live in the midwest they are significantly cheaper.

9. Bru

Bru Newbie

I also only use lumber jack pellets in my traegers.

10. retfr8flyr

retfr8flyr Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I am also a Lumber Jack pellets fan. I like their Hickory, I also make my own blends with Hickory for the base.

11. Erick

Erick Newbie

By huge order, I mean like 10 to 15 bags

12. forktender

Order the ones you want through Dick's, you will still get the same price but you will have to pick up in store. That's how I get the type I want, I order 8 to 10 bags at a time.

13. Erick

Erick Newbie

Alright, so I just go to the website and pay full price? Then get them to match it later?

The shipping charges are pretty steep, it won't let me order to the store.

How do I get them to ship to the store? I'd go in person if I get that big of a discount.

Please let me know the proper procedure to get others. Thanks for all the help. I truly appreciate it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  14. forktender

I heard some of the stores won't price match on orders, so I would go to the store and ask to speak to their mail order person first. Tell them what your are wanting to do and see if they will do it for you.
    They guy at our local store does it for me all the time, he said if anyone calls him on it he will just have me return them and get my cash back then have me buy them right back at the price matched price. Maybe that's why they aren't doing very well in the market. LOL!!!

So far I haven't had to do that, he just gives me the price match price when I come pick them up he has me pay he never takes the money until he gets gets them into the store, it normally takes about a week to get them once they order them.

15. Erick

Erick Newbie

Alright, I ran out of my bags...

I tried to order 20 bags of pellets from dicks, the guy said they won't price match ruralking. (Over online chat and on the phone)

If I go in person, they will match ruralking however, they will not order other flavors. To me or to the store. :(

16. bregent

Where are you located?

17. Erick

Erick Newbie

I'm in Thornton Colorado.

18. bregent

19. Erick

Erick Newbie

Aweosme! I'm going to place an order. I called in, a lady said she'll follow up with me on Monday

I need to buy 13 40lb bags More than I wanted, but I'll get my brother and my dad in on it.

What flavors do you recommend?

I'm thinking supreme blend and competition blend, 100% apple, Mesquite, Alder. Should I try anything else?

20. bregent

I'd say it depends on whether you plan on using a supplemental smoke device (tube) or not. I don't use a tube and only buy 100% hickory. It's the only pellet (besides mesquite) that gives me enough smoke flavor. But you'll probably want to experiment with some others and see for yourself. If you're going to use a tube, then you'll probably want to try some of the other varieties as well to burn in the tube. Keep in mind that 100% Apple, Pecan and Mesquite are premium pellets and priced higher than their other pellets.