BellFab Learning Curve...Gettin' 'er Dialed In

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Displaced Texan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 11, 2020
Burr Ridge, IL
No fancy write up here, just a brisket I smoked yesterday and just sliced up today at 11 am. 3 PM into the pit.

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

Was pretty happy with the bark and color at 10 PM, so I wrapped 'er up. In the oven on convection at 225° until 6 am. Rested on counter for an hour, then into my warming drawer at 150° until 11 am. This worked out very well. No tending the pit all night, and I opened for bidness at 11 like a bbq restaurant lol.

IMG_0472.JPG

The flat...

IMG_0474.JPG

And getting to the point...

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

Simple rub. Salt and pepper. Finally have my BellFab pit figured out and really enjoying it. I won't win any competitions based on smoke ring lol, but I think this is one of the most tender and tasty briskets I have ever had. Smoke rings are overrated haha!

That's a nice looking rig and the brisket looks really good!! Nice cook.

Smoke rings are overrated haha!
I'm with you on this. Yes, the smoke ring adds some visual appeal but does nothing for the flavor. Weird is that the smoke ring has somewhat eluded me with the cabinet smoker I built. Will be doing a brisket this weekend and will try placing it in a different place this time and see what happens.

Robert

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Nice looking brisket bud. Wonder why no smoke ring? Like you said doesn't matter just kinda dumbfounded. I have had one on everything I've smoked on my bell Fab. What kinda wood you use?
Lol, I suck, obviously.

Kidding, maybe "only" 7 hours in the smoke? Put in pit close to room temp? Mainly hickory with some red oak mixed in.

Put your food in the pit cold. Don't let is sit out and warm up. Smoke rings stop forming around 140°F so the longer, within reason, it takes to reach 140° to more chance for a smoke ring to form.

Reactions: ConrodM
Put your food in the pit cold. Don't let is sit out and warm up. Smoke rings stop forming around 140°F so the longer, within reason, it takes to reach 140° to more chance for a smoke ring to form.
Thanks. Aaron Franklin says to let beef warm up to room temp. I was sort of joking anyway since I really don't care if I do or don't have a smoke ring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky