Beef x2 and beans *Finished Q view added in thread*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Took a few days off to enjoy the cooler weather and cook. Doing some clod for pulled from the small end and slices from the rest. Doing a knuckle for lunch meat and lastly a big pan of my Keto Cowboy beans under it for the drip in goodness.

raw clod.jpg

Got this whopper shoulder clod, almost 21 lbs. Trimmed it and cut it in two as the smaller end always finishes early and makes perfect pulled beef. It is much more well marbled than the large end.
clod rubbed.jpg

Injected with Butcher Block Prime Brisket injection, rubbed down with a coffee cocoa rub recipe I found here on the forums changed to sugar free. Basically 1/2 cup each coarse salt, coarse black pepper, fine ground espresso and cocoa, Golden Lakanto brown sugar substitute. 4 tablespoons of cinnamon and 4 tablespoons of dark chili powder (i subbed this in for cayenne.)

rubbed knuckle.jpg

Here is the knuckle. Trimmed, injected with Minors beef broth, rubbed down simply with coarse pepper and garlic salt. Will be doing this to about 135F and slicing for lunchmeat.

beans ready for sauce.jpg

This is the start of my keto friendly baked beans. 6 cans of black soy bean which is super low in net carbs, 2 lbs. bacon, two large onions and about 2 1/2 lbs. of ground beef seasoned with my homemade sugar free sweet heat rub.
beans ready to smoke.jpg

Sauce added and ready to let that beef drip in in all day tomorrow :) Sauce is 2 bottles G Hughes SF BBQ, 1 bottle G. Hughes sugar free ketchup, 2 cups Swerve brown sugar substitute , 1 can of chipotle chiles in sauce pureed, 12 oz. tomato paste and a cup to cup and a half of Minors chicken broth.

helper.jpg

One of my two helpers lol, hes just waiting for me to cook the trimmings. I usually cook the leaner trimmings and store them for dog treats for the two doodles.

Thanks for looking! I will add finished pics tomorrow.

UPDATED finished Q view in the thread below.

Last edited:
Nice work, hope you have plans for leftovers!

Ps doodles are cool, ours is 11 and still acts like a goofy puppy.

Reactions: jcam222
Nice work, hope you have plans for leftovers!

Ps doodles are cool, ours is 11 and still acts like a goofy puppy.
I have 2. One is a mini goldendoodle that’s 1 and Oscar in the pic is a mini labradoodle, he’s about 5 months old. They are awesome lol. As far as leftovers with family , friends and neighbors it doesn’t take much planning :)

Last edited:
Reactions: civilsmoker
I'm very impressed that you didn't call it chili, most people would've. But we all know there are no beans in chili.
Great looking tray of beans and that clod looks amazing.

Got a little of a late start this morning but smokes rolling. Can't really see it in the pic but there is a nice steady blue smoke rolling out.

smoker rolling.jpg

Smoker loaded up with B&B Texas Style lump and a mix of cherry and hickory wood chunks. I LOVE the B&B lump its my new go to, burns very clean, low ash and no scraps in it. Local Ace ordered me some of their lump hickory to try next.

fireboard.PNG

Fireboard says I am dialed in right around where I want to run. Ill run around 275F until the knuckle is medium rare for lunchmeat and the likely coast up to 300F for the rest of the cook on the shoulder clod and beans.

UPDATED - finished Q view posted below

Last edited:
I have 2. One is a mini goldendoodle that’s 1 and Oscar in the pic is a mini labradoodle, he’s about 5 months old. They are awesome lol. As far as leftovers with family , friends and neighbors it doesn’t take much planning :)

Here is ours begging for a sample! He knows what the copper pot is doing at 225....He thinks he a human at times....lol
05E5A833-B490-49A2-8FDF-5C7D0F840C4E.jpeg

What time is dinner, you need to be making up some au jus for a dip Sammy!!!

Add some seared onion, shrooms, & some smoked Gouda....bamb I’ll repeat what time is dinner!

PS bear and me will do the dishes after!

Well finished up finally. Made for a long but pleasurable day. Here are some of the finished Q view.

ROAST READY TO SLICE.jpg

Beef knuckle pulled around 135F and wrapped for about a half hour. Off to the freezer for a half hour or so after it cools down. Next time I think I will pull around 125F.

SLICES LUNCHMEAT.jpg

Sliced up and ready to pack up. Probably vacuum seal it tomorrow. Definitely will pull at 125F next time. Will also let it freeze at least an hour. Not the prettiest slices but they taste great! Most of the sliced will go to family and friends. I will keep the chipped up pieces and bits. They taste just as good :)

CHOPPED.jpg

Here is the small end of the clod after about an hour in the cooler. I always used that end for chopped. Will probably get slices and some chopped from the big end.

CLOD SLICES.jpg

Some of the shoulder clod slices, swear I had the grain marked but looks like it turned on me lol. The grain on this seems to move around a bit. Pretty tender and juicy. I really like that Butcher BBQ injection.

BEANS.jpg

Beans smoked the entire time with some of the beef dripping in them. I arranged it so that I had beef dripping in these and also beef dripping in my au jus pan. No one on the earth would be able to identify these as Keto friendly beans.
AU JUS.jpg
For a "water" pan I filled my pan with Minors beef broth, rosemary, thyme and garlic. Frig overnight and I will remove the fat tomorrow. Much of this wont get used up so to the freezer it will go. I save all my liquid gold for both cooks where i run short and for winter indoor cooks.
WIFES PLATE.jpg

Time to feed the wife :) I didn't have any parsley , lemons etc. handy to pretty it up more.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!! Happy to share my keto bean recipe if anyone is inclined to try it.

Last edited:
forget the parsley pass that meat, everything looks awesome. bet the doggies are sleeping good now! it was a long day

Well finished up finally. Made for a long but pleasurable day. Here are some of the finished Q view.

View attachment 407793
Beef knuckle pulled around 135F and wrapped for about a half hour. Off to the freezer for a half hour or so after it cools down. Next time I think I will pull around 125F.

View attachment 407795
Sliced up and ready to pack up. Probably vacuum seal it tomorrow. Definitely will pull at 125F next time. Will also let it freeze at least an hour. Not the prettiest slices but they taste great! Most of the sliced will go to family and friends. I will keep the chipped up pieces and bits. They taste just as good :)

View attachment 407796
Here is the small end of the clod after about an hour in the cooler. I always used that end for chopped. Will probably get slices and some chopped from the big end.

View attachment 407797
Some of the shoulder clod slices, swear I had the grain marked but looks like it turned on me lol. The grain on this seems to move around a bit. Pretty tender and juicy. I really like that Butcher BBQ injection.

View attachment 407798
Beans smoked the entire time with some of the beef dripping in them. I arranged it so that I had beef dripping in these and also beef dripping in my au jus pan. No one on the earth would be able to identify these as Keto friendly beans.
View attachment 407799 For a "water" pan I filled my pan with Minors beef broth, rosemary, thyme and garlic. Frig overnight and I will remove the fat tomorrow. Much of this wont get used up so to the freezer it will go. I save all my liquid gold for both cooks where i run short and for winter indoor cooks.
View attachment 407800
Time to feed the wife :) I didn't have any parsley , lemons etc. handy to pretty it up more.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!! Happy to share my keto bean recipe if anyone is inclined to try it.
Would love to try the keto bean recipe if you could share it. My wife does keto so she would love to have a side like that to go with whatever meat im smoking that day! Big like on the whole cook..fantabulous job!

Would love to try the keto bean recipe if you could share it. My wife does keto so she would love to have a side like that to go with whatever meat im smoking that day! Big like on the whole cook..fantabulous job!
It is I’m the comments under the pictures in the post. Let me know if you have questions. The black soy beans a very low in NET carbs. I use meat too to reduce the amount of those in it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky