Beef Short Ribs S.V. 48 hrs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FFchampMT

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
Montana
The January rush to clear the freezer before the next beef comes in, lead me to a 3lb package of some short ribs.
Instead of smoking I decided to try my new Anova 1000w stick instead.

Their final destiny was to be made in to tacos, so I was going for a pulled beef texture. Decided on 175 for 48 hours. Dusted with a pretty heavy coat of taco seasoning, vac sealed, and in to the cooler they went.

My setup is a coleman party stacker cooler with a hole cut in the top.
MVIMG_20210117_195439_1610939096348.jpg

The cook went perfectly, and I lost almost no water. I've been adding an extra few inches to the vacuum bag so I can hang it over the side and then pin it down with the lid, does a good job keeping it from floating around.

The ribs came out smelling like a million bucks. There's a specific melted beef fat smell on roasts, and now these ribs, that my girlfriend claimed 'woke her up from a nap'.
Bones pulled out with ease, and it shredded easily. Texture was a little soft (the toddler loved it), so I'll idle off 12 hours on my next run down to 36 hours. Strained the fat and juices off and threw it in a pot with Ortega taco seasoning and some diced onion.
Delicious meal, and lots left over for midweek nachos!
MVIMG_20210117_151107_1610939153200.jpg

Looks darn good. I've thought about SV cooking, but if I bring another cook tool into the house my wife will disown me!
Jim
You and me brother are in the same boat. My wife, bless her heart, already puts up with 3 grills and 2 smokers out back. If I start moving into the kitchen... it'll be a bad day for me. I've tried to tell her I can SV in the garage... but she isn't buying it.
I've had one sitting in my Amazon cart for about 6 months, getting all the notifications of the price changes... I'm waiting for it to have one of those sudden drops to pull the trigger.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky