Beef hot dogs 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mofatguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 31, 2019
Missouri
First time making hot dogs. Used all beef, didn't emulsify as the groind burger was already pretty fine grind. Used sausage maker weiner seasoning, cure #1, and soy protein.
Mixed and stuffed then in fridge overnight. Smoked until 135 degrees and then poached to 165.
Turned out good.
20200405_124933.jpg

"Turned out good "

Following as they do look good and I am curious how the TSM seasoning did.

They tasted really good. Kind of a cross between a hot dog and a snack stick. Didn't get a pic of them bunned.. Was too busy eating them and the deer brats. Sorry, I'm a pig.
Stuffed these in sheep casing. What a pain!

I only did the emulsified hot dogs twice, man that is a chore to say the least. Now I do a double fine grind and it's pretty close to the emulsified "look" of a dog, and the flavor is exactly the same. Good sheep casings are hard to locate, I've been buying from Syracuse Casing, wonderful selection of diameters and they come on plastic sleeves.

Reactions: tallbm and Mofatguy
Dang. Went out to clean my smoker and realized my amazin tube had not lit when I was cooking these dogs. But I had smoke the whole time after I put it in? Explain that one!

Dogs look real good. The smoke you were seeing was probably just from seasoning burning off the walls of smoker and stack.

try cellulose casings ,they peel right off.

Reactions: chopsaw
Mofatguy Mofatguy not sure how I missed this . They look great . I use the same mix from TSM , it's a good one . Nice work .

They look Great !!
Now let's get some of those Puppies in a Roll, with some Mustard!!
Like.

Bear

They tasted really good. Kind of a cross between a hot dog and a snack stick. Didn't get a pic of them bunned.. Was too busy eating them and the deer brats. Sorry, I'm a pig.
Stuffed these in sheep casing. What a pain!

They look great!
The flavor you describe is why I go with all pork franks. It's also nice too that pork is so much cheaper lol.
Nothing wrong with that flavor the beef gives I just use the beef to give me the beefier flavor I enjoy like in a brat or with my ground pastrami sandwich meat that I make and slice (I use 100% venison and beef fat for my pastrami but beef would work just as well).

Finally, I can't speak too much to the smoke flavor cause I lightly smoke my franks/hotdogs BUT I used the cellulose/plastic to do about 3 pounds and oh man I'm sold on them compared to using sheep casings.

I bought LEM's brand I bought my caseings from the sausage maker site because I bought their natural casings and use their amazing Cured Frank and Fresh Brat seasoning and I added it to the order. Another bonus of them is that you get a lot of casings for cheeeeeap!
(Edit: corrected above, btw LEMS Cured Frank and Fresh Brat seasoning still makes amazing franks and brats!)
1413B_WEB.jpg

See my post here for how they came out!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky