Beef Belly Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LoydB

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 31, 2022
I had a couple of large chunks of beef belly in the freezer, and was craving burnt ends. Around 8.5 hours total time. Very happy with how they came out.

beef belly burnt ends.jpg

I had a couple of large chunks of beef belly in the freezer, and was craving burnt ends. Around 8.5 hours total time. Very happy with how they came out.

View attachment 635465
Looks great, getting ready to do the same - could you tell me your process on this batch?

Thanks BB-que BB-que ! Here goes...
  1. Put the belly slab on a cutting board, skin side/fat cap down
  2. Cut a crosshatch pattern, like a chessboard, about halfway deep into the slab. This determines the size of your 'chunks'.
  3. Rub well with your favorite rub on both the skin side and the crosshatch - get it into the cuts.
  4. If you have a vacuum sealer, seal it and throw in fridge overnight. If not, ziploc bag. If you remember, flip it once or twice.
  5. Smoke at 225 degrees F (I used apple). When the internal temp hits 170F (took me around 5 hours), pull it.
  6. Increase smoker temp to 250F
  7. Let rest for 30 mins then finish cutting through to separate the pieces.
  8. Place in foil pan, seal tightly with foil, cook for another two hours without adding any smoke.
  9. Pull the foil, mix in BBQ sauce of your choice, sprinkle with brown sugar if you want it really sweet.
  10. Add smoke back and go one more hour, stirring at the midpoint. If they're not caramelized enough for you, smoke longer.

My total cooktime was 8.5 hours.

Reactions: CTXSmokeLover
Looks awesome! Beef naval is pretty rare cut for most folks to have around. Do you butcher your own meat?

jcam222 jcam222 No, but we have a fantastic butcher half an hour away (http://www.saltandtime.com/).

And everyone else who said something nice in this thread, thanks! Don't want to reply individually because so many...

Reactions: jcam222
This same procedure works for pork belly and brisket as well, the timing may vary.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky