Beef Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rexster314

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 7, 2012
Texas Gulf Coast
Doing two beef navels for bacon today. Cured for 20 days.
2023-01-20 12.26.24.jpg

Robert aka tx smoker tx smoker is a master in beef bacon. He might be able to give you a couple pointers.
Thanks for the shout out John but I'd hardly consider myself a master. I've made it once and have the second batch going that
I started last weekend. It appears from the pic that the bellies you have going are considerable smaller than the ones I have done, but that shouldn't change processor flavor profile. Matter of fact it'll make things easier slicing and packaging. As for the curing process, I'd recommend going at least two weeks. Not so much from a safety standpoint (but it certainly doesn't hurt) but to give more time to develop the flavors. The beef seems to be more dense and doesn't absorb the seasonings like pork does. It's also thicker so again, more time is beneficial. When sliced and cooking the stuff, you have to treat it more like a brisket or it'll be tough. It doesn't need to be torched but it must be cooked on low temp for a longer period of time to get tender. I've just done mine in an electric and on the grill but xray xray cooked some in the oven that I sent him in our Christmas exchange. Maybe he'll chime in here with how he did his to give another option. I don't remember time and temp that he mentioned. Do it right though and you're in for a treat unlike anything you've ever had :emoji_laughing:

Last weekend I put 45 pounds of bacon down to cure: 31 pork and 14 beef.
001.jpg

002.jpg

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky