Beef Back Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ultramag

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
Garden City, MO
I decided to give the beef ribs another go. Not sure if it is just as good as they get, if I could do something better, or if I can't get a good quality cut locally. They just seem to leave a little something to be desired. :( Maybe there is a reason pork ribs are by far more popular.

Here they are going in the GOSM at 11:00 AM this morning. Will post some follow up shots.

Give me a 30 minute warning before dinner is served!....Need to get cleaned up for sure

Are we getting 2 sides or 3 sides with the ribs? LOL

What can I bring besides a fine bottle of Merlot?

Good luck on them beef ribs, Chad. Looking forward to the finished product!

Good luck Chad, It depends on the cut also. I use the ribs from the "prime rib" section. When the butcher cuts boneless prime rib I have them save me the ribs. I mean how can you go wrong with ribs like that?

Joe

These things almost look awful, but they sure were good. I think I am almost there. I cooked them quite a bit longer than before. It seems the beef ribs require a longer cook to render out the fat and get them tender. The one on the end that looks like it pulled ½ way up the bone actually slid out as I was picking it up off the grate. They went over well, three bones left which my sister abscounded with. :shock:

One question still. This may be right up your alley Earl. Is there a sub-membrane for lack of a better term on this cut of beef rib? About ¼ of the bones seemed to have another membrane and I'm 99.9% I had it all off the back. There was quite a bit more fat on the backside of these than there is an a Spare-Rib.

All in all I think I made 100 times better finished product than I had before with beef ribs. Maybe I'm getting there with them.

chad,
man beef ribs are a fav around here....everyone loves them but the little lady...she prefers country ribs because she can eat them with a fork and knife (man what the hell is wrong with her?). I think honestly the best way is to put a good rub on 24 hours before then give them a good 5 hour smoke at about 180 degrees..... since I didn't develop the rub myself and I give credit where credit is due....here is the rub, courtesy of alton brown from food tv (and I use this on everything!)

8 Tbs brown sugar
3 Tbs kosher salt
1 Tbs chili powder
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp jalapeno powder (and you will most likely have to make this)
1/2 tsp old bay seasoning
1/2 tsp rubbed thyme
1/2 tsp onion powder

for the jalapeno powder....slice jalapeno's in half, deseed and then place on a dehydrator at 140 until dry, then pulverise in a coffee grinder (or old time use motor and pedestal...mask required) into a powder. and yes, dehydrate....if you do it in the smoker it is chipotle not plain jalapeno and does have a big difference!!! Keep in mind to wash your hands well after dealing with the jalapenos otherwise you don't want to scratch an eye, pick your nose or god forbid hold something when you go pee unless you really enjoy fire hot pain!!! :oops: :evil: got two trays on the dehydrator right now in fact......love the stuff.

That rub sounds good. Looks like a good sweet and spicy combo. I need to dig out the dehydrator and make some jalapeno powder anyway. That would give me a good excuse to invest in a mortar and pestle too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky