BBQXperiment - pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One thing I did when time was an issue after a few hours of smoke I cut it the butt into three pieces and threw it in the insta pot for 40 minutes or so. Turned out great

I have done this in an extended way a couple of times, for parties at someone else's house. The day before the party, I smoked for 4 hours (to 165 internal temp), then wrapped and put in a cooler, and then baked at 300 the next day at the party in their oven until done at 205. It was really good.

I have done this in an extended way a couple of times, for parties at someone else's house. The day before the party, I smoked for 4 hours (to 165 internal temp), then wrapped and put in a cooler, and then baked at 300 the next day at the party in their oven until done at 205. It was really good.

that's a good idea for larger parties. Definitely taking notes :)

I wrap mine when it hits the stall. I have oft thought about pulling out and finishing in the oven. Will give this a try, as well as the sauce. Your pork looks great btw

Reactions: bhambrewer
When a local grocery store sells bone in pork butt for 99c/lb, it's a good excuse to play around a bit, right?

So, the theory is: the meat is going to absorb all the wood flavour in the first 2 to 4 hours. At that point mostly you're wrapping until final internal temperature. Does it make a difference if, instead of wrapping, you finish it off in the oven?

So I brined the pork overnight with a dry brine of only 3 tsp kosher salt for a just under 6lb pork butt. Pulled it out this morning and smeared all over with basic yellow mustard. Smoked over Cowboy lump charcoal with pecan wood chunks for about 3 hours. Internal temp at this point was around 129f.

Pulled out, put in a pan and wrapped with heavy duty aluminium foil. Into the oven at 250f to final internal temp of 200f. How did it turn out?

View attachment 465124

View attachment 465125

well... success! Melt in the mouth tender, nice smoke ring, delicious.

I served it with Kentucky style black BBQ sauce. It's definitely different but delicious. But that's a post for another day ;)
Wow Looks Delicious !

Reactions: bhambrewer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky