BBQ to Smoker questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ShaneC

Original poster
Apr 10, 2021
Newbie to building or converting a grill, but not to smoking.

I have an existing BBQ grill that is 24" x 41" long. It is made out of pipeline pipe so is thick and its very well made. I want to install a firebox and make it a reverse flow. I know I will need to remove the stack as it is in the middle but here are my questions.

1- The cooking grill is half way the pipe how far below this should the plate to make it a reverse flow be?
2- How much of a gap should there be between the end of the plate and the end of the smoker for the smoke to go into the cooking chamber?

Thanks .

First off, welcome to SMF. I'm probably not the one with an answer but I will take a wild-ass guess. I would start with a 3" gap on the opposite end of the fire box. So, that would make the plate 38" x 20 something. I assume the depth dimension will dictate how far below the cooking grate the plate sets. My thought is to have enough room for a drip pan.
That's all I got, man. Hope that helps a little and once again, welcome.

First off, welcome to SMF. I'm probably not the one with an answer but I will take a wild-ass guess. I would start with a 3" gap on the opposite end of the fire box. So, that would make the plate 38" x 20 something. I assume the depth dimension will dictate how far below the cooking grate the plate sets. My thought is to have enough room for a drip pan.
That's all I got, man. Hope that helps a little and once again, welcome.

Thanks. I was thinking 3-4" at the end. Just didn't know about how far between the RF plate and the grill..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky