bbq guru setup on WSM 22?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

After reading through post again I see where you mentioned using the gasket tape? If I am looking at the pics right is that is around the doors and where did you purchase it from?....
Go to eBay and search for this:

Gasket - Weber Smokey Mountain high temp Nomex seal mod smoker bbq 18.5 22.5 WSM

Cost $27 and the guy ships fast and is very helpful.

18" vs 22" depends on how much you are going to be smoking at a single time.

The larger the smoker = the more you will spend on heating it.

Reactions: kerstingm
I wonder if the 18.5 with that setup can do 14 hours on one fuel?
Yup.... you should be able to run at least 15 hrs. in good weather. In winter wrap it in a welding blanket.
Also, how many slabs of ribs can you fit on the 18.5? And can you fit a packer brisket on that puppy?
Ribs you have to curve or cut in half, a small packer will fit but might have to get creative with a big one.

I love my 22.5" WSM the extra room always comes in handy!

Also, how many slabs of ribs can you fit on the 18.5? And can you fit a packer brisket on that puppy?
I can put 6 slabs (rolled - not flat) easily into my 18.5", 3 on top, 3 down below.

I've done  8 (4 & 4), and you could do 10 I think, but I but my raw ribs in 3 packs

so the 3 & 3 works perfect.

I like the 18.5 vs the 22 because for a family of 4 or a few guests it has been plenty large

and uses a lot less fuel than the 22".  

Perfect. Yeah and it'd be for a family of four.

How effective is the temp control if you need to raise the temp to a very high temp of 285-310 range to speed it up if need be? The nice thing about the gas smoker I have is the ability to crank it up if needed or roast around 350.

Last edited:
Perfect. Yeah and it'd be for a family of four.

How effective is the temp control if you need to raise the temp to a very high temp of 285-310 range to speed it up if need be? The nice thing about the gas smoker I have is the ability to crank it up if needed or roast around 350.
I agree, an 18.5" for 4 people is a breeze, although I've fed many more with it too.

Remember, people are eating other things besides the meat that comes out of the WSM.

Raising the temp up to 350° is typically no problem, although for "smoking" who actually

needs 350°?  For baking - with smoke - 350° is handy, and I do it for a "baked" smokey

salmon all the time, but I've never actually thought about needing to speed things up.  

You are right, for baking a roast - with smoke - an 18.5" might be a hassle as it would probably

go through fuel quick - but for 99% of true smoking, an 18.5" is a great little smoker..

Stored my pitmaster IQ in the garage all winter, the fan went to hell,
Please take care of these devices!
Money is tight now and can't afford to replace it, it's too bad I can't just replace the fan, I found the replacement fan it cost .87$ but it's a min order of 1000

Keep that in mind the fan on the pitmaster IQ is an .87$ fan

Stored my pitmaster IQ in the garage all winter, the fan went to hell,
Please take care of these devices!
Money is tight now and can't afford to replace it, it's too bad I can't just replace the fan, I found the replacement fan it cost .87$ but it's a min order of 1000

Keep that in mind the fan on the pitmaster IQ is an .87$ fan
Jesse,

Can you purchase a new fan from PitMaster, so you don't have to buy 1000?

I always thought PitMaster looked like a piece of junk.  I remember their "warranty" wasn't

worth a dime when I looked into them long ago...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky