BBQ for a Hundred

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmh313

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Portsmouth Rhode Island
I belong to the countries oldest operating Militia, predating the Constitution by several months. Today, though still technically active National Guard, we act as a historical armory and honor guard. Anyways, Saturday was our Fall BBQ. A Rainy windy morning turned into a great day for a dinner!

On the menu: 115# pulled pork - simple rub of Salt Pepper Onion Garlic Paprika. 86# Brisket with just Salt Pepper and Garlic. 72# short ribs with Salt Pepper fennel seed mustard seed and crushed red hot. And the real crowd favorite: 40# wings marinated overnight in Soy Sauce and Budweiser, coated with the same rub as the pulled pork.

Sides included: Potato Salad with burnt ends, homemade baked beans, smoked coleslaw, jalapeno cornbread, spicy dill pickles, pickled red onion, macaroni and cheese.

Started at 3AM with everything (with the exception of the wing brine). Pork and Beef were off by 2:00 and chicken came off at 4 just in time to serve.
IMG_4496.JPG
IMG_4497.JPG
IMG_4504.JPG
IMG_4506.JPG
IMG_4510.JPG
IMG_4511.JPG

First time using my second rack, boy did it come in handy. This was also the first time I really saw a serious increase in wood use due to weather and pure food volume. I used DOUBLE my typical amount. I was forced to foil unfortunately as the length of the stall was becoming an issue and I couldn't get my fire going hot enough to accelerate without the use of foil. Oh well!

Very nice job, all the food looks great. Why not a hometown beer like Narragansett?

Point for sure.
Chris

Very nice job, all the food looks great. Why not a hometown beer like Narragansett?

Point for sure.
Chris

Honestly...it was the beer in the bar that one of the guys grabbed when I said "get six cans of beer" haha. Of course only four made it into the brine, one for me, and one for my assistant

63D867A3-FC78-4EFD-9E7B-F524DAEECCAA.jpeg

“You got city hands Mr. Hooper. Been counting money your whole life!” Lmao! Wish they sold Narragansett around here Chris. Love to drink some of that while watching jaws!

Great job on the Q! Everything looks great! Fine job!

Scott

Reactions: zwiller and gmc2003
I belong to the countries oldest operating Militia, predating the Constitution by several months. Today, though still technically active National Guard, we act as a historical armory and honor guard. Anyways, Saturday was our Fall BBQ. A Rainy windy morning turned into a great day for a dinner!

On the menu: 115# pulled pork - simple rub of Salt Pepper Onion Garlic Paprika. 86# Brisket with just Salt Pepper and Garlic. 72# short ribs with Salt Pepper fennel seed mustard seed and crushed red hot. And the real crowd favorite: 40# wings marinated overnight in Soy Sauce and Budweiser, coated with the same rub as the pulled pork.

Sides included: Potato Salad with burnt ends, homemade baked beans, smoked coleslaw, jalapeno cornbread, spicy dill pickles, pickled red onion, macaroni and cheese.

Started at 3AM with everything (with the exception of the wing brine). Pork and Beef were off by 2:00 and chicken came off at 4 just in time to serve.View attachment 378878 View attachment 378879 View attachment 378880 View attachment 378881 View attachment 378882 View attachment 378883

First time using my second rack, boy did it come in handy. This was also the first time I really saw a serious increase in wood use due to weather and pure food volume. I used DOUBLE my typical amount. I was forced to foil unfortunately as the length of the stall was becoming an issue and I couldn't get my fire going hot enough to accelerate without the use of foil. Oh well!
Looks fantastic, we’ll done. Could you give me the recipe for the wings. IgVdvt had much luck turning out good smoked wings.

Started at 3AM with everything (with the exception of the wing brine). Pork and Beef were off by 2:00 and chicken came off at 4 just in time to serve.View attachment 378878 View attachment 378879 View attachment 378880 View attachment 378881 View attachment 378882 View attachment 378883

First time using my second rack, boy did it come in handy. This was also the first time I really saw a serious increase in wood use due to weather and pure food volume. I used DOUBLE my typical amount. I was forced to foil unfortunately as the length of the stall was becoming an issue and I couldn't get my fire going hot enough to accelerate without the use of foil. Oh

BB-que:

Not much of a recipe to be honest... it was 40# of chicken wings brined in 1 gal soy sauce + 4 budweisers overnight. Pat dry & light coat of whatever spice rub you have handy. Keep in mind that the wings have taken on a bunch of salt from the soy so be careful about salt content in the rub. 300-325 for 2 hours and they were ready to go. Cook time will vary based off of quantity of course... 40# was about 100 wings.

BB-que:

Not much of a recipe to be honest... it was 40# of chicken wings brined in 1 gal soy sauce + 4 budweisers overnight. Pat dry & light coat of whatever spice rub you have handy. Keep in mind that the wings have taken on a bunch of salt from the soy so be careful about salt content in the rub. 300-325 for 2 hours and they were ready to go. Cook time will vary based off of quantity of course... 40# was about 100 wings.
Thanks, was just curious on the amount of soy to beer so that’s helpful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky