Bbb help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingtipstailfeathers

Original poster
Oct 2, 2022
In need of curing help. I've made bbb 4 times so far....one a cure mix that I was kinda happy w and 3 from scratch ( help from here and a local friend). All turned out great but this batch something funny is going on. I bought 3 shoulders and deboned them and picked the best marbled cuts for bacon the rest went to pulled pork and burnt ends. After reading here of doing the dry rub tight in the bag I thought I better change and follow recommendations on here. After 2 days I had a green spot on one. Now the liquid in the bag and the meat are looking very not so good. I'm not going to finish it but what could it be? My proportions are spot on using a accurate scale and cure calculator I've used in the past. Pics don't do this justice but here they are on day 11. Top is the tainted one. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20221019_194321_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221019_194321_HDR.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20221019_194305_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221019_194305_HDR.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 22
Did you buy these shoulders as a double pack in a cryo-vac pack?

What was the age of the meat? Was it fresh?

What was the temp of your refrigerator? Do you have a thermometer to monitor your cure refrigerator Temperature? Is your thermometer calibrated for accuracy?

Sometimes muscle cuts cross grain will have an iridescent glow of purple, greenish blue.......perfectly natural. On the other hand, if you see green spots from H2O2 producing bacteria, you will know it when you see it.....

Post your cure recipe. I can't visually find anything wrong in the pic. Can you circle what you are concerned about?
Cure recipe is 6.25% cure #1, 1.85% kosher salt, 1% brown sugar. The spot is not as pronounced now as what it was on day two or three. It started as a little green spot and grew and now with the liquid it's turned the meat a very dull Brown kind of green.

Please post what your actual cure recipe is. Everything in it and the amounts to meat weight.

Honestly the meat looks fine in the picture but need details. Also add the refrigeration temperature.
I posted the cure recipe in a reply. Refrigerator temperature is 41°

Did you buy these shoulders as a double pack in a cryo-vac pack?

What was the age of the meat? Was it fresh?

What was the temp of your refrigerator? Do you have a thermometer to monitor your cure refrigerator Temperature? Is your thermometer calibrated for accuracy?

Sometimes muscle cuts cross grain will have an iridescent glow of purple, greenish blue.......perfectly natural. On the other hand, if you see green spots from H2O2 producing bacteria, you will know it when you see it.....

I bought a two pack and then had the butcher split one for me. Can't really say on freshness other than that but they're pretty reputable butcher. It started as a small green area and then turn the liquid to a brownish green tone and the meat very dull looking

Cure recipe is fine. Btw you should be calculating.25% cure. Cure #1 has 6.25% nitrites. I'm assuming you are using the cure calculator and that's where you came up with that. As far as 41° fridge temp.......if you have an issue that might be the one. Meat should always be refrigerated below 40° for safety. But I don't see any visual imperfections in your pic. I say let it ride and give it a smell test at the end

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky