BB Ribs on the Weber

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gabzola

Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Wesley Chapel, FL
This is my second rib cook on the weber kettle and it could be better. Definitely had great flavor and I'm happy with the flavor but I ran into 2 problems. One of them being that the membrane didn't crisp up, was more rubbery even though the meaty part of the rib was perfect, and the middle part of the rib still had a lot of pull and non broken down fat compared to the edges, I think it's because of the heat zones in the weber but I could be wrong. Happy with the cook, it just could've been better.
20230319_183012.jpg
20230319_183751.jpg

I’m with the previous posters, I pull the membrane off before. Using a paper towel to grip it makes it a lot easier too. How long did you smoke it for?

Reactions: Gabzola
I always pull the membrane too but some racks just won't give it up no matter how many times or how hard I try to remove it..

Those ribs look good from here. If the ribs come with a membrane then I leave it on. There isn't a whole lot of meat on the backside of ribs so I'm too worried about it. Also sometimes you'll see the membrane start to separate from the rib towards the end of the cook. You can pull it then also. As for the little bit of fat left in the center. With some ribs you'll never get it all to breakdown properly. You can try cooking them a little longer.

Point for sure
Chris

Those look good to me! Like others have mentioned, I'll add that we are usually most critical of ourselves - I know I am. I always remove the membrane. And for more collagen breakdown in the middle of the ribs, you can either cook them longer, or wrap them in foil for the last hour or so of the cook. They'll definitely get more tender that way.

Red

Those ribs look good to me! I ask the butcher to take the membrane off at the meat market if I go to one. Even if I'm at the grocery store if I can get it at the butcher case I'll ask. They have the hands and the technique for it. They've done hundereds of them!

Anyway, yours look great and any areas you would like to improve you will in your next cook! Happy smoking!

ddow229 ddow229 Answered my question perfectly. I wasnt sure if you just cut along the bone or meaty part of the rib. I'll give that a try next time I do ribs. Thanks!!!

Jim

I most often remove the membrane, tho sometimes I just lose that fight, no big deal. What was your coal setup, charcoal chain, use a SnS?. Going from 165º to done in a hour seems fast to me, but then I don't wrap ever. It's been a few years since I've done a rack of BB's, but that plate does look pretty darned good, ribs and tater salad works! Keep at it and take note of your cooks and time, you'll find what works for you. I've gone to using the charcoal chain method with wood chunks for spare ribs everytime, usually takes a little over six hours give or take. A SnS will do a good job on spare ribs, the coal baskets work good too. Used to be just line up coals on each side of the kettle, with a wood chunk, vents half closed, worked pretty darned well. Keep at it, you're doing great! RAY

I most often remove the membrane, tho sometimes I just lose that fight, no big deal. What was your coal setup, charcoal chain, use a SnS?. Going from 165º to done in a hour seems fast to me, but then I don't wrap ever. It's been a few years since I've done a rack of BB's, but that plate does look pretty darned good, ribs and tater salad works! Keep at it and take note of your cooks and time, you'll find what works for you. I've gone to using the charcoal chain method with wood chunks for spare ribs everytime, usually takes a little over six hours give or take. A SnS will do a good job on spare ribs, the coal baskets work good too. Used to be just line up coals on each side of the kettle, with a wood chunk, vents half closed, worked pretty darned well. Keep at it, you're doing great! RAY
I use a SNS, went for 250 for 3ish hours then wrapped and raised to 275-300

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky