Bass

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin' jay

Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
I caught quite a few bass in a farm pond not too far from my home this weekend. I would normally pan fry them but I was wondering if they would work well in the smoker. Can anyone tell me if this would be good idea?

i have done them in the smoker but they are generally a really light fleshed fish, so they take on smoke and flavorings very easily... they also tend to be a dryer fish, not alot of fat too them...

i personally would stick with some flour or bread crumbs, fresh lemons and tarter sauce..lol

that would help the bass..lol

i have smoked alot of freshwater fish, from salmon,trout,bass,pike to yellow perch(made perch jerky) even smoked smelts.(those are good free beer getters in the local bar..lol)

my personal favorites are the rainbow trout(steelhead) and salmon.. they are a more oily fish and are better suited for the smoker...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky