Basic Brisket Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Still smokin'. It's been a rough day from temperature spikes and drops to my first encounter with billowy white vs. thin blue smoke to a stubborn brisket that's just a moseying along to 170. My garage is a war zone. Kiddo can eat spaghetti tonight. Late dinner for the grown folk.

No, the smoker. It'll help maintain a constant temp in wind, rain or snowy conditions.
If it's an offset put it over the cooking chamber not the fire pit.

Actually I have a POS(Piece Of Sh#t) gas grill I'm using with smoker boxes. It's honestly the first time it's gone out of whack during a smoke. It will be going to grill heaven in a few weeks once I get the outdoor kitchen done in the backyard. Until then I'll deal with it. I'm hoping all the attention and stress my current rig is putting me through is just a crash course and using a proper smoker will be much easier. I hope?

View media item 310711
And there she be. Some bits missing due to wife snack-by and me not noticing the grain direction (Toothpicks next time). Not as much smoke ring as I'd hoped but bark was better. I'll figure it out. Now on to a full packer this weekend. You delicious bastard!

Help!!! I've tried smoking 3 flats (I'm guessing...it's whatever the grocery store is calling brisket). Small pieces of meet between 2-3 lbs. I have a MES that's on point with its temp.

My problem is is that I've been going by temp and not time. It's taking between 9-11 hours to smoke a flat to internal temp of 203. It's pull apart but dry. Seems like a helluva long time to smoke something that small. Anyone else have this problem?

Help!!! I've tried smoking 3 flats (I'm guessing...it's whatever the grocery store is calling brisket). Small pieces of meet between 2-3 lbs. I have a MES that's on point with its temp.

My problem is is that I've been going by temp and not time. It's taking between 9-11 hours to smoke a flat to internal temp of 203. It's pull apart but dry. Seems like a helluva long time to smoke something that small. Anyone else have this problem?
Best advice I can give you is that BOTH Time and Temp are only meant as guidelines when smoking something like a brisket.   If it pulls apart but is dry, then it's overcooked.  To tell when a brisket is done, do the "poke test" on it.   Poke the thickest part of the flat in several places with a toothpick or temp probe and when they will go in with very little resistance, the brisket is ready.    Internal temp might be 195, or 200, or 203 or 207, etc.

if i pull my brisket off at 170 internal temp, wrap it up tight in foil and stick it back on the smoker or oven. what temp are you smoking or cooking at until it reaches 190? do i set the oven to 225, 250, etc... and or smoker to 225, 250

I never check my temp on briskets, except today just for the post, I've cooked so many I can tell by looks and feel. Getting ready to take one off in a few.

Gary S

Reactions: jay1340
Good evening everyone!

I separated the flat from the point in order for the brisket to fit in my vertical smoker.  My question is which cut should I monitor for temps?  And since i planed to wrap at 170 do I go ahead and wrap both like it is still one piece?

HELP

THANKS

recently joined snf, my first smoke since joining, wasn't sur where i should post pics of my rig and smoke, so here it is, last night and this morning.View media item 323356
View media item 323357
just salt and smoke on the briskets, used a combination of oak charcoal, grape vine wood, pear wood, cherry and hichory, used the fruitwood just because i had it, it's not some special mixture or anything, smoked @225.

recently joined snf, my first smoke since joining, wasn't sur where i should post pics of my rig and smoke, so here it is, last night and this morning.View media item 323356
View media item 323357
just salt and smoke on the briskets, used a combination of oak charcoal, grape vine wood, pear wood, cherry and hichory, used the fruitwood just because i had it, it's not some special mixture or anything, smoked @225.
Those Briskets look Great !!
drool.gif

You should go to the "Beef" forum, and post this there, and tell us all about how you did them, and more pics if you have any.

Nice Job!!
icon14.gif

Bear

Great color !!!!    and what Bear said.

Gary S

thx gary, just started a thread in beef forum, thx again. my rig is nothing special, just make due w/ what i have, trial and error, patience and the scientific method are my guides.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky