Bark on OR Bark Off...That is the question.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scotty's bbq

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
What are the pro's & cons of using wood with the bark on or the bark stripped off? I usually use hickory or apple wood, but I have never had any with bark on. Does it even matter??

alot of guys i know swear by using bark only for the last 30-60mins of the smoke.. ive never had that much plain bark laying around so i cant confirm or deny the results.

I asked the same question alittle while ago, most answered it doesn't matter, and I have to agree.I mean if I find a piece of bark in the bag I throw it away, but if is still on the wood I use it. I just got some apple and the bark was still on some of it, so I asked the same question. I really couldn't taste any difference.I used it once with the bark on and the next time I had some with the bark off. No difference.

dosent matter, say if your using pecon wood, bark,and nut shells its all the same, i think seagod is saying if it has mold on the bark but id use it but up to you on that.
correct me if im wrong seagod on what you said maby i miss understood you.
really moldy bark you can throw it away and use the heart of the wood.

just some people are allergic to mold so as a general rule- i won't use the wood as it has moldy virus tree killing bark but the virus comes from the inside out.- just a personal thing cooking for profit...

Food for thought there from the seagod and i would agree with that, be safe. if you have plunty of wood and the bark seems not up to standards moldy or what not, TOSS it, or wood that smells funky like if it's been sitting in water for a few days and smells funky toss it.
biggrin.gif

unless yo wnat to get out the old DISCO DUCK 8 track and funk out MAN
biggrin.gif
GOT ANY ACID man?
icon_eek.gif
heheheee

Dont be sorry about being a safety nut man, arnt we all,? I like being safe and not doing stupid things.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky