Bar-Style aka Thin Crust Pizza Cooked on Big Green Egg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for all the kind words. Having a couple of crusts in the freezer is a real shortcut for making a quick pizza. Depending on prep time for toppings you can have a pizza going into the oven in less than a half hour.

Looks fantastic - just to be sure the yeast is instant yeast?
Yes. The brand is 'saf-instant' and the package is red and white with a cartoon baker at work.

They all look awesome! I like all different types of pizza but the thin crust is really good! We started par baking then freezing crusts also... really like the way they turn out. Care to share your sauce recipe?

Ryan
Sure, here is the one I use.

Pizza Sauce
Inspired from Healthy Canning Article using the tomato passata option and not fresh tomatoes, and using 1/2 pint wide mouth jars.

This yielded six 1/2 pint jars
Ingredients

2 - 24oz. bottles of tomato passata (2 x 700 ml bottles)
84 ml (grams) lemon juice
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons roasted garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian Herb Seasoning

Instructions
In a large pot, bring passata to a boil in a large pot, Add ingredients, reduce to a simmer and reduce (uncovered) until the sauce has the consistency of ketchup, about 12 to 15 minutes stirring frequently.

Remove pot from stove, allow sauce to cool 5 minutes, then ladle sauce into heated jars, leaving 1/2" of head space. De-bubble, adjust head space, clean rims + thread area + inside area, add lids & rims.

Water Bath Canner: Process jars for 35 minutes; increase time as needed for your altitude.

NOTE
: There are also recipes for using a Pressure Canner for tomato sauces if you do not want to add lemon juice to make sure the acid level is in the correct range. Some claim that without lemon juice, a tomato sauce is a little more robust. The processing times for the the recipes I reviewed were in the 25 minute range, adjusted for altitude. So, at my altitude I could add lemon juice and use the water bath method with a 45 minute processing time. Or use my pressure canner, and omit the lemon juice and process for 25 minutes.

Like!

We've been doing pizzas for many years. The recipe traces back to my mom, who patterned her recipe after the thin-crust pies in the Chicagoland area. My wife has tweaked the crust and sauce recipes since.

Question: I see you use yeast in the crust recipe, but I didn't see where you let the dough rise. Did I miss that? My mom used yeast and she didn't set the aside to rise before she cooked the pie. My wife just deletes the yeast from the recipe to get a paper-thin but crunchy crust.
The only rise time is the 5 minutes the dough is covered before rolling out. Maybe our altitude has something to do with it, but longer rise times (like 15 minutes) make the crust tougher, and not as crispy. We have not tried omitting the yeast.

You know what they say about bar-style pies...... There is more room for beer when there is less dough on board. View attachment 513346
Mrs ~t~ blind bakes our pizza crust for the freezer and we pressure can our own sauce, so a pizza is never too far away. Sometimes we'll add some homemade pesto to the sauce. The crust is crispy and chewy and the toppings get pretty close to the edge.

View attachment 513347

View attachment 513348

View attachment 513349

This is typical of the toppings, not super heavy since the crust is thin.

View attachment 513350

The cooking method for all of my pizza is using my Big Green Egg with plate setter (heat shield) and a 425° to 450° pit temp with B&B lump charcoal. The pizza sits directly on the grate and takes roughly 12 minutes for a regular finish, or about 16 minutes for a well done pie. I don't add any flavor wood or pellets, I'm just going for the 'brick oven' flavor on the cheese and sauce.

View attachment 513351

Here is a regular finish on this 1st pepperoni, and it's followed by a well done finish on the pepperoni & red pepper.

View attachment 513352

View attachment 513353
This gives you an idea of how thin the crust is

View attachment 513356

This sausage and onion pizza with the square cut pieces is like they serve in taverns in St Louis.

View attachment 513354

And here is a pepperoni and sausage that's a hair lighter on the pepperoni than those first two.

View attachment 513355
do you par bake crust? how do you get goopy crust off peel to grate?

You can make several crusts, then store in the freezer in a zipper bag. You can build a pizza and go right on your grill or oven, or build one and hold in the freezer until ready to bake.
View attachment 513377
I put this video together last year but you need to use the pause button to read the panels of instructions. I didn't allow enough delay time.

thanks for the vid. answered my questions. e do oven pie on a stone all the time.

thanks for the vid. answered my questions. e do oven pie on a stone all the time.
And with the blind baked crust you can cook right on the oven rack unless you really add a lot of toppings, then the stone might slow down the cook a little so the toppings get more melty.

You know what they say about bar-style pies...... There is more room for beer when there is less dough on board. View attachment 513346
Mrs ~t~ blind bakes our pizza crust for the freezer and we pressure can our own sauce, so a pizza is never too far away. Sometimes we'll add some homemade pesto to the sauce. The crust is crispy and chewy and the toppings get pretty close to the edge.

View attachment 513347

View attachment 513348

View attachment 513349

View attachment 513350

The cooking method for all of my pizza is using my Big Green Egg with plate setter (heat shield) and a 425° to 450° pit temp with B&B lump charcoal. The pizza sits directly on the grate and takes roughly 12 minutes for a regular finish, or about 16 minutes for a well done pie. I don't add any flavor wood or pellets, I'm just going for the 'brick oven' flavor on the cheese and sauce.

View attachment 513351

Here is a regular finish on this 1st pepperoni, and it's followed by a well done finish on the pepperoni & red pepper.

View attachment 513352

View attachment 513353

View attachment 513356

This sausage and onion pizza with the square cut pieces is like they serve in taverns in St Louis.

View attachment 513354

And here is a pepperoni and sausage that's a hair lighter on the pepperoni than those first two.

View attachment 513355
hate to re-open this. but, do you have any idea where you got the "dough disc? I want to try par baked crusts and that looks ideal for rolling your own.

Great looking pies. When I eat pizza I love a thin crust. The crust is a just a transport medium for the good stuff.
Jim

Those look great . I always have fresh dough in the fridge , but have wondered about making ahead and freezing .

square cut pieces is like they serve in taverns in St Louis.
A lot of good pizza places in St. Louis . Tj's pizza is sold as a frozen product to some Taverns that don't have kitchens . Stocks the pizzas and provides a masonry lined electric pizza oven to cook them . They're pretty good . He also does school and sports fund raising with the frozen pizza .
I like the thin crust and the square cut . Some of the store front pizza places make them on a sheet pan . That's the way I like it myself .

Reactions: thirdeye
Those look great . I always have fresh dough in the fridge , but have wondered about making ahead and freezing .

A lot of good pizza places in St. Louis . Tj's pizza is sold as a frozen product to some Taverns that don't have kitchens . Stocks the pizzas and provides a masonry lined electric pizza oven to cook them . They're pretty good . He also does school and sports fund raising with the frozen pizza .
I like the thin crust and the square cut . Some of the store front pizza places make them on a sheet pan . That's the way I like it myself .

When I was a little boy Tombstone pizza did about the same thing, stocking bars with frozen pizza and supplied a chrome pizza oven to cook them in. A neighborhood bar near my Grandparent's house had specials on Friday night to carry frozen pizzas home and cook them. It was great when my Granny had a house full of kids.

Reactions: chopsaw
hate to re-open this. but, do you have any idea where you got the "dough disc? I want to try par baked crusts and that looks ideal for rolling your own.
I would bet it came from Amazon, and they make several sizes. The circle pattern really helps. Search for 'silicone pastry mat'. Some silicone mats are made for baking, and others are made for working with dough.

Those ovens went a long way to the end result in my opinion . One of the guys I deer hunted with hung out with Tom from Tj's pizza . He gave him an oven to bring to deer camp . That thing did a great job .

. Some silicone mats are made for baking, and others are made for working with dough.
Yup . Mine was a gift last Christmas from my Daughter . She said it came from Amazon . This one holds onto the counter and holds onto the dough . No sliding around and keeps the dough from springing back . really works good .
1634397498723.jpeg

Those ovens went a long way to the end result in my opinion . One of the guys I deer hunted with hung out with Tom from Tj's pizza . He gave him an oven to bring to deer camp . That thing did a great job .
Slightly off topic, but in the Kutas book there is a section toward the back titled "How I started making sausage" (which reads like a novel), but at one point he talks about him and a partner selling "beer sausage" to bars in Las Vegas, and selling them a 'steam cooker' at cost so they could cook and sell links to patrons.

Reactions: chopsaw
I remember browsing through that . Found it interesting . I'll have to revisit that .

View attachment 513347

View attachment 513348

View attachment 513349

View attachment 513350

View attachment 513351

View attachment 513352

View attachment 513353

View attachment 513356

View attachment 513354

View attachment 513355
This inspired me. Since I sold my bar/pizza joint over 20 years ago I've always been a make-your-own pizza person.
I in no way profess to be a baker ( too much precision and wimmens do it better. I've even lowered myself to buyin the pre-made dough balls at Publix. I make my own sauce when there's a deal on authentic san Marzanos. I also buy a chunk of sandwich pepperoni and grind it in the processor like Pizza King in Indiana did. This worked out pretty good and we enjoyed it. I might experiment and try and increase batch a little to yeild a 14-ish pie. I think I squished all the air out rolling to 12". Still all in all it was real good. Might have to set up an assembly line to make a few ahead
thank you for the motivation.
john.

Attachments

• IMG-2875.JPG
    IMG-2875.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 11
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky