Baked turkey…meh. Family time was priceless.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
We had a delayed Thanksgiving this year due to parental overlap And being close to our kids and their step dad is also near. No biggie.

I was volunteered to smoke a whole turkey, which I have never done. We normally only smoke a turkey breast because we dont like the dark meat on turkeys. I was going to give it a try-first try for family-which I was 50/50 on the idea. Concerned my first whole turkey would be a flop for fam…. Couple days before the day I got a little cold bug and used that to skip the smoke. The baked turkey was ok. And I remembered why we stopped making these. The wife wanted a whole one…no idea why. Hopefully next year we can skip that. Overall a great family gathering. Our first Thanksgiving with our youngest and her husband! Drank all day, cooked together all day, ate too much, laughed and torn it up

That's what's most important to enjoy time with family! Well...drinking all day us nothing to complain about either lol. When the kids came home Friday night we had smash burgers and tater tots!
They were good!

Ryan

That's what's most important to enjoy time with family! Well...drinking all day us nothing to complain about either lol. When the kids came home Friday night we had smash burgers and tater tots!
They were good!

Ryan
Burgers are a family fav. Might have rather had a smash burger with homemade fry’s.

Reactions: JLeonard
Well Dave , you do what has to be done to make everyone happy.
Good times with the Family is the best time for sure
Glad it all turned out

David
Yup, that is truth. And it was happy times And all worth it In the end.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Me and Bryce (the 15yo son), went to my folks Thursday. I make a crockpot full of that Colorado green chili that has been making the rounds here. And that was our Thanksgiving. My older son did the family thing on his side and my brother and his family went to his in-laws for lunch and then came to the folks for a late dinner. We had a great time just hanging out and watching football.
Sometimes its not so much what you eat as who you eat it with.
Jim

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
The baked turkey was ok. And I remembered why we stopped making these.
Since I started smoking or frying them, I don't really care for a baked turkey anymore. Our gathering this year was large as usual with 30-35 people there and since I just had shoulder surgery, I got to be a spectator and an eater. There were 2 turkeys cooked in oil-less fryers and 1 was baked. You can guess which were the favorites. But the time spent with family is what's most important...

Reactions: gmc2003 and sandyut
My wife insists on whole birds also, and none of us really eat the dark meat. So I wind up gathering the meat off the legs, wings and whatever I can scrap off the body, vacuum seal them for a good turkey pot pie at a later date. Since thanksgiving and Christmas are her holidays I know it's a battle I won't win. So what the wife wants the wife gets.

Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky