Baked Stuffed Redfish Ryan with Lump Crab and Shrimp Cream Sauce and Angle hair Pasta

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Captain Ryan Lambert is a Fishing Guide that runs Louisiana Fishing Adventures out of Buras, Louisiana. This is a recipe he created with the days catch for his customers at the lodge. I got the recipe from one of his customers....

Fillet redfish off skin, remove red line and all red meat. Cut fillet into 4-5" pieces, butterfly the thick piece above the ribcage so you get (2) ~1/2" thick fillets. Arrange 1/2 of the fillets on sheet pan so you have 4 portions 3" wide by 4-5" long. Season lightly with creole seasoning. You are going to make a sandwich effect with the fillets and about 1/4lb. of the stuffing per serving.

The Stuffing:

1 stick butter
1 cup white onion
1 cup bell pepper
1/2 cup green onion
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/2# Lump Blue Crab meat
1/2# 51-70 count shrimp
1 T. Lemon juice
4 slices white bread cut into 1" cubes
~1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
creole seasoning to taste

Saute the onions, bell pepper and garlic in butter 3-4 minutes. Add shrimp and crab, saute until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, stir in good. then add white bread to soak up liquid. flip and stir gently. Add just enough Italian bread crumbs for stuffing to come together. Season with creole seasoning to taste.

IMG_0241.jpg

Next, add:
8 thick cut home grown tomato slices
4 lemon twists
IMG_0242.jpg

Bake in 350* oven 35~40 min. until center of stuffing reaches 140*F on thermometer probe. Once that is baking, make the sauce and pasta.

The Sauce:

1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup green onion
2T. Fine dice shallot (optional)
1/2# shrimp
1/2# lump blue crab meat
2T. Lemon juice
2 cups half n half

saute green onion and shallot in butter 2~3 minutes. Add shrimp and crab, saute until shrimp are pink. add lemon juice, stir in 1 minute. Add Half n half then reduce down until thickened to 1 1/4~1 1/3cups. season lightly with sea salt and black pepper from pepper grinder. reserve warm until fish is finished baking.

When fish is ~10 minutes from being done, start pasta to boil so it will be ready when fish is done.

The Plate:
IMG_1568.jpg

Soooo Good!

Last edited:
73saint, I think the recipe is posted on Ryans guide service website. If not, I know it is in Chef John Folse cookbook Hooks Lies and Alabis.

Reactions: 73saint
Technically....I was suppose to remove the lemon twist, then cover the fish with sauce, then put the lemon twist back as a garnish. I was so ready to eat that I forgot!!! LOL!!

That looks fantastic! I'm betting that gravy would do very well over angel hair pasta. Or seafood ravioli.

Captain Ryan Lambert is a Fishing Guide that runs Louisiana Fishing Adventures out of Buras, Louisiana. This is a recipe he created with the days catch for his customers at the lodge. I got the recipe from one of his customers....

Fillet redfish off skin, remove red line and all red meat. Cut fillet into 4-5" pieces, butterfly the thick piece above the ribcage so you get (2) ~1/2" thick fillets. Arrange 1/2 of the fillets on sheet pan so you have 4 portions 3" wide by 4-5" long. Season lightly with creole seasoning. You are going to make a sandwich effect with the fillets and about 1/4lb. of the stuffing per serving.

The Stuffing:

1 stick butter
1 cup white onion
1 cup bell pepper
1/2 cup green onion
1/4 cup minced garlic
1/2# Lump Blue Crab meat
1/2# 51-70 count shrimp
1 T. Lemon juice
4 slices white bread cut into 1" cubes
~1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
creole seasoning to taste

Saute the onions, bell pepper and garlic in butter 3-4 minutes. Add shrimp and crab, saute until shrimp turn pink. Add lemon juice, stir in good. then add white bread to soak up liquid. flip and stir gently. Add just enough Italian bread crumbs for stuffing to come together. Season with creole seasoning to taste.

View attachment 458493

Next, add:
8 thick cut home grown tomato slices
4 lemon twists
View attachment 458494

Bake in 350* oven 35~40 min. until center of stuffing reaches 140*F on thermometer probe. Once that is baking, make the sauce and pasta.

The Sauce:

1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup green onion
2T. Fine dice shallot (optional)
1/2# shrimp
1/2# lump blue crab meat
2T. Lemon juice
2 cups half n half

saute green onion and shallot in butter 2~3 minutes. Add shrimp and crab, saute until shrimp are pink. add lemon juice, stir in 1 minute. Add Half n half then reduce down until thickened to 1 1/4~1 1/3cups. season lightly with sea salt and black pepper from pepper grinder. reserve warm until fish is finished baking.

When fish is ~10 minutes from being done, start pasta to boil so it will be ready when fish is done.

The Plate:
View attachment 458495

Soooo Good!
Man, that looks like some good eats!! Love some good redfish! Looks like you nailed this one!

That looks fantastic! I'm betting that gravy would do very well over angel hair pasta. Or seafood ravioli.
Thanks Steve! Yes, the Cream Sauce would be excellent over pasta.
Man, that looks like some good eats!! Love some good redfish! Looks like you nailed this one!
Thanks rocfish13! I'm well stocked with fresh fish during the summer so we eat a lot of it.
Man o man!
That just looks fabulous!
Al
Thanks Al, give it a go!!
Looks great!

Thanks Peachy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky