Baffle Plate in Firebox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cheese Burger

Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I'm in the process of doing some research before embarking on an offset smoker build and I came across an idea of implementing a baffle plate in the firebox. I got this idea from wood heaters. The purpose of a baffle plate in a wood heater is to help produce the most amount of heat from every piece of wood burnt. It does this by keeping the heated air and waste gases inside the firebox for longer to produce even more heat from burning wood.

I apologise in advance if this idea has already been raised. I'd be interested to hear what other members of the forum thinks.
Firebox baffle plate.png

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome Home, high heat isn't needed for smoking, that's why they put dampers on the doors is to cut down the temp and prolong the burn with less fuel burned, baffle plate coming into the cook chamber is meant to avoid a real hot spot,

The type of fire in a wood burning stove is entirely different than the fire in a cooker. I operate mine with a bed of hot coals and add a split as the last split burned to coals. I mainly maintain the coal base, not so much a burning fire.

You want the heat removed from the fire box to heat the Cook Chamber...
Excess heat in the FB consumes wood too fast...
The upper air inlet moves that heat and with the extra air, creates a uniform heat in the CC....
This tutorial will get you a really great smoker that uses little wood...

Standard Reverse Flow Smoker Calculator... by DaveOmak and others... Ready to use.. rev5.. 6/19/15. | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

Read this thread... The last 2 pages have a great description of the cooking process...
Short/Fat 120 Gallon Build | Smoking Meat Forums - The Best Barbecue Discussion Forum On Earth!

Reactions: Draft Horse Crazy
Thank you so much for your inputs. Really appreciate it. I've not run a stick off-set smoker before and I had the image of a roaring fire in the firebox.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky