Bacon-mania!

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by solaryellow, May 7, 2012.

1. solaryellow

solaryellow Limited Mod Group Lead

Started curing a case of bacon two weeks ago. They are drying now to form a pellicle before smoking starts tomorrow.

Pancetta experiment #1. This is a fennel/cayenne test. After soaking for 20 minutes it will be skinned and then hung in my dry curing chamber until it loses 30% of its weight.

[​IMG]

Pancetta experiment #2 is the same recipe but using chipotle powder instead of cayenne. I am anticipating a milder but smokier flavor.

[​IMG]

Next up is a honey/chipotle bacon that smells promising. It will develop a pellicle overnight before getting a 12 hour dose of Todd's pitmaster smoke.

[​IMG]

And then I have 3 of what I consider regular bacon soaking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brokenwing

brokenwing Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Joes I will be watching this, I love me some bacon, and cant wait to see it hit the smoke.

3. Looking good and the pancetta flavors are interesting! Will be waiting for updates!

4. diesel

diesel Smoking Fanatic

Pancetta is awesome!  Can't wait to see the end result. 

5. Can't wait for the outcome of these,    are you going to smoke them or just dry

6. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Hey Joel those all look great.  Looking forward to my sample of the Pancetta's  [​IMG]

7. Lookin' good!

~Martin

8. jp61

jp61 Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looking good so far!

9. ronrude

ronrude Meat Mopper

Looks great!  I am looking forward to the pancetta especially.  It is in my list of things to do.  I need to build a drying chamber first.

10. solaryellow

Pics will be up in a minute Mike.
    You aren't the first I have heard that from Alesia.
    Hopefully I will have something to share in 30 days Diesel.
    You are being too kind Robert. I am drying the pancettas and smoking the rest.
    C'mon down in 30 days and I will hook ya up Gary.
    Thanks Martin!
    I appreciate it JP!
    This is my first ronrude. As long as the wifey is happy, all will be good.

11. solaryellow

Fired up the 5x8 AMNPS tonight in the plywood smoker using Todd's Pitmaster pellets for 2/3 of the bellies.

[​IMG]

And then the normal bacon went in to the plywood smoker. Care to guess which of the belly halves is the honey/chipotle?

[​IMG]

12. jp61

jp61 Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

You lit the wrong end!

Looking good!

13. gersus

gersus Smoking Fanatic

Very awesome solar! The honey chipotle sounds really good!

14. thoseguys26

thoseguys26 Master of the Pit

Looks awesome! 

Question, what are the benefits to using those bacon hangers vs just laying them on your racks?  Thanks!  Bacon is greatness!

15. solaryellow

The benefits are fairly minor thoseguys26. I can fit more in the smoker using the bacon hangers than if I used racks. I am sure some would also say the smoke is a little more uniform for each bacon, but I can't see that being a huge deal for personal consumption.

16. A fine display of baconage my friend. I can smell it frying already.

17. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Now that some good looking bacon

18. solaryellow

Smoke #2 tonight.

[​IMG]

19. Looking good Joel, will you be doing another smoke or will this be the last?

20. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks Great Joel!! and I love the flavor combos. thanks for the pics-prolly miss the bacon makin the most my friend.