Bacon color after cure and smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rcangler3

Original poster
Feb 26, 2023
Been doing my own bacon for 3 years now and have never seen this happen. 2 whole pork bellies cut into 3 sections each. Dry cure vac seal for 8 days. Smoked over 4 sessions 4 hours each session wrapped in butcher paper after every session. Smoke temps under 40 degrees. Mellowed for a week wrapped. Not as much weight loss on this as normal.

There's a darker color on each slab bottom.
I'm not sure if it was oxidation or what from before packaging. I'd hate to throw out this much meat. But at the same time I don't want to get anyone sick. Thoughts?

Just not sure what could have gone wrong in my process. It's usually perfect every time.

PXL_20230226_202303779.jpg
PXL_20230226_202256586.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!! What a good question.

It's all good, and the reason is that each muscle group can have a different level of myoglobin and will take the cure a little differently. The reaction makes for some different shades of pink and red. Look at the slight color differences in these slabs.
CVQxusO.jpg
aljZT0P.jpg

EDIT - The same thing can happen if you cure a shoulder ham.
JhDP72Z.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the fast and reassuring replies!

I know the color can vary quite a bit, the concern was the gray-ish color and nothing was as bright as usual. It seemed to be in every slab I cut. Mostly on the bottom, but the last one in the middle on the meatier side of the belly. Just had never seen this in my few years of making my own.

Can't wait to explore this forum and expand my skills!

Reactions: JLeonard
Can't wait to explore this forum and expand my skills!
Post in roll call and introduce yourself.
Beware of the enablers that will help you spend money on "have to haves".

Post in roll call and introduce yourself.
Beware of the enablers that will help you spend money on "have to haves".
Ok no problem! I was just panicking when I saw the color of my pork lol. Was no time to waste.

Ok no problem! I was just panicking when I saw the color of my pork lol. Was no time to waste.
Completely understand the urgency.
Now that you are reassured the bacon is good, please stick around and keep posting.

How does the bacon look after frying?
SE has the better question. When cooked the color often evens out with "cured" look.

The only time I get alarmed is when there is a obvious grey area in the center when it should be cured.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Completely understand the urgency.
Now that you are reassured the bacon is good, please stick around and keep posting.

SE has the better question. When cooked the color often evens out with "cured" look.

The only time I get alarmed is when there is a obvious grey area in the center when it should be cured.

Like this gray area? This isn't completely fried, but cooked and still showing gray. Now I'm alarmed. This is the only section where it was in the middle the rest was on the bottom. Should I throw out all 20 lbs?

Attachments

• PXL_20230304_143638196.jpg
    PXL_20230304_143638196.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 24
Been doing my own bacon for 3 years now and have never seen this happen. 2 whole pork bellies cut into 3 sections each. Dry cure vac seal for 8 days.

Normally, when you repeat a proven curing process, the only variable is the meat itself. Next would be an error in weighing the meat and ingredients. But sometimes one of the essential variables (like fridge temp, failing to overhual, or not getting the bag juices you normally see) can have an effect. Although I prefer cure times in the 12 to 14 day range, 8 days like you used should be adequate.

Was your source / brand for this belly different from the other bellies?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky