Asian Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
I had some boneless/skinless thighs in the freezer and wanted to do something with them, something other than grilled or fried, so decided to try something Asian. I found a couple of different recipes on here and the interweb and combined and loosely followed them. Here we go...

Most of the ingredients...
  • 2 small packs of B/S thighs. 12 total thighs.
  • 5 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 1 bunch of green onions
  • 1 bunch of Bok Choy
  • 2 jars of Smuckers Sugar Free Red Raspberry Preserves
  • Chinese 5 spice powder
  • 2 cups unsalted chicken broth
  • Course salt & pepper
  • 2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
  • Low sodium soy sauce
20230110_171140[1].jpg

Dusted the thighs with the 5 spice powder and pan seared about 3-4 minutes on each side in EVOO. A little 5 spice will go a long way...
20230110_171452[1].jpg

20230110_173122[1].jpg

Once all the chicken was browned, I added 3 stalks of chopped green onions to the pan and sauted for a couple of minutes then I added about half of the chopped garlic for another minute or so...
20230110_175709[1].jpg

Next I added the 2 jars of preserves, chicken broth, and the vinegar. Bring to a boil stirring to get everything incorporated and allowed to thicken...
20230110_180058[1].jpg

20230110_180428[1].jpg

Add in the chicken and simmer stirring to get everything coated and allow the sauce to get kind of syrupy.

Meanwhile I had coarsely chopped the Bok Choy and into a skillet with EVOO and the rest of the chopped garlic, to saute. Turning frequently just until it gets some color and the greens begin to wilt. Add in maybe 2 TBSP of the soy sauce, salt & pepper to taste, and toss some more to coat it all...
20230110_183733[1].jpg

20230110_185046[1].jpg

Served over chicken flavored Ramen noodles, yes the ones that are 25¢/pack from Walmart, topped with some more chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds. Time to eat...
20230110_185831[1].jpg

I chose the Ramen noodles because I had them, we keep them here for the grands. These are the ones from Walmart that are about $3.00 for 12. I also keep the sugar free jelly here for my morning toast or PB&J sandwiches. This meal would also be good with rice noodles, white rice, or pasta as some other suggestions. I don't cook Bok Choy very often and had forgotten how mildly flavored it was. It would make an excellent side vegetable for many dishes...

Charles , you have my stomach growling right now .
Nice work bud .
Nothing wrong with those ramen packages . My Son buys some kind of stir fry noodle at work . They would be good with this too .

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Nicely done Charles, with both the write up and the food.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great Charles! I'm thinking about something Asian for tonight. I'm still trying to remember where in the heck I stored my wok!

Charles , you have my stomach growling right now .
Nice work bud .
Nothing wrong with those ramen packages . My Son buys some kind of stir fry noodle at work . They would be good with this too .
I appreciate that, Rich. The grands love the noodles so we try to keep some here...
that looks really good, wish I had a plate now for breakfast!
Thank you!
Looks great to me!
Thank you kc!
Nicely done Charles, with both the write up and the food.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you, Chris! So many times I see a great looking meal posted without any kind of instructions or recipe, just a basic description and a picture or two, and I'm guilty of that, too. So I try to explain as best I can so that anyone can make it if they choose to...
Looks great Charles! I'm thinking about something Asian for tonight. I'm still trying to remember where in the heck I stored my wok!
Thanks, Steve. I actually made this earlier in the week and just now found the time to post it. I need a good wok myself, just not sure what would work on a glass cooktop.

(I'm not buying a wok, I'm not buying a wok, I'm not buying a wok, I'm not buying a wok!!:emoji_laughing:)

That looks and sounds stellar Charles!! Absolutely outstanding. Just reading through the ingredients it sounds almost like a sweet and sour sauce, which I'd just love!!

Robert

Thanks a lot Charles , :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: that looks and sound fantastic.

I had a long day at work so no time to cook so off to our favorite Chinese restaurant.
And ordering way too much because my belly is growling just like Rich chopsaw chopsaw said.

But will try your way at another time
very good Charles

David

That looks and sounds stellar Charles!! Absolutely outstanding. Just reading through the ingredients it sounds almost like a sweet and sour sauce, which I'd just love!!

Robert
We like sweet and sour, too. I was kind of surprised, but it really wasn't all that sweet, or not as sweet as I was expecting. Thank you my friend!

Thank you, David! Chinese food is one thing my wife and I agree on, but I just don't cook it much...

Stunning and incredible sounding meal! Nothing but goodness, I am drooling💪 Congrats on a well deserved ride!
Jed, I really appreciate the compliments and I am surprised at the carousel ride...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky