Anyone have GM's new 6.6 gasser?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mowin

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 30, 2015
upstate ny
Thinking of trading in my current truck. Looking at the chevy 3500 with the 6.6 gas.
Who's got one, and what's your thoughts?

Don't have one but I'm guessing if you're getting a one ton truck I'd get a duramax diesel. Have an 06 three quarter ton duramax and love it.

Ryan

Reactions: Fueling Around
Duramax is a great engine but according to his profile he's from upstate NY. Winter with diesels are easier than it used to be but can still cause major issues. I am a diesel fan and drive trucks mainly in MN so I have some experience with cold diesels. Plus about 10 grand more than a gasser. I found this article, might help (if the link works)

Reactions: mowin
Oh yes, definitely diesels in winter temps can have issues! Didn't look to see where he was from. And much more expensive. Didn't watch the video but read through the article. Really need more info. I responded cuz nobody else had. But for a one ton truck...what's it's use? What is being towed? Flat ground or mountains? Not sure of the newer gas models but not too long ago I talked to a retired couple pulling a fifth wheel camper through the mountains, loved the diesel with its transmission...saved the heck out of the brakes. Also how long gonna keep a truck before trading again? I have 220,000 on my truck and many have gone over 300,000 miles with not much for problems. I did trade my 3/4 ton gasser with 78,000 miles on it for my diesel with around 120,000 miles ... overdrive on gasser was going out. So yes many decisions to take into account. And yes, drive throughs and atms and banks are not fun in trucks!

Ryan

Reactions: bigfurmn
Would also be curious, what are you using right now Mowin?
Brokenhandle, I love diesels and still kickin myself for selling my 97 Ram Cummins. Past few years I've seen -50 air temps here that no die-gel or block heater could help. We run three trucks, two Detroit Diesels and one Paccar/Cummins.

Brokenhandle, I love diesels and still kickin myself for selling my 97 Ram Cummins. Past few years I've seen -50 air temps here that no die-gel or block heater could help. We run three trucks, two Detroit Diesels and one Paccar/Cummins.
Maybe some day we'll get smart and go south when it gets cold! At least that cold!

Ryan

Friend has newer 3/4 ton Chevy, but not sure which engine in truck. He is happy with everything including compromise with mpg.
Diesel upgrade is a lot of money
I still have my 97 Ram Cummins. Truck chassis is not good. Drive train is destined for my 48 Chevy COE

No idea on the 6.6 gas. When Ford came out with the V-10 I ended up getting an F250 4x4 crew cab with one in it. Had decent power most of the time but pulling my gooseneck with tractor and a couple attachments was to much for that gas motor hit a hill doing 65 and be doing 45 by the time it got to the top. Mileage on it empty was only around 13-14 and with that load behind it was 4-5 mpg. Ended up trading it in when it was about a year old and went with the diesel 1 ton dually 4x4 crew cab and never looked back. The diesel pulls that load with no problem and of course the mileage is much better. The diesel was more money up front and more money for oil changes and other service work but the power and fuel savings over time make it easier to take. I still have the truck with about 240,000 miles on it and would jump in it and go anywhere without worry.
So if your pulling that fifth wheel and going very far I would look real hard at the diesels I would sure want to talk to somebody that has the 6.6 and tows something like what you plan on pulling. Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide on

Reactions: mowin
Ford has went back old school for heavy towing/use, 7.2 gasser with pushrods and I think single cam for durability and gas mileage surprisingly, not looked to read any reviews as its out of my price or need range, if I ever hit the lottery I would have 1 and a huge 5th wheel camper

Don't have one but I'm guessing if you're getting a one ton truck I'd get a duramax diesel. Have an 06 three quarter ton duramax and love it.

Ryan
No offense, but you couldn't pay me to own another diesel. The EPA crap has ruined the diesel. Plus there 10k more.

Reactions: Brokenhandle

Current rig is a '19 F350 SRW with the 6.2. IMO it's definitely underpowered compared to my Rams with the 6.4. Thought about ford's new 7.3 gasser with the 10 speed tranny, but lots of tranny issues with them. Plus I've have the dreaded "death wobble" twice. Once at 10k, and again at 25k with ford's "fix".
I'm mainly towing my mowers around, but I rent mini ex, skid steers frequently, have a 36' 5er. Also have a fisher 9.5 V hanging off the front.
Planning on moving to Tennessee when the wife retires in 4 yrs. Then I'll get a half ton, and never plow another flake of snow again, lol.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky