Anybody like pecan wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
by green do u mean it hasnt seasoned long enough an how long does it need I got a whole load of it an I'm not that happy with it has weird taste on all meats an like,a little spivey don't know why

Here in Louisiana, pecan has been used by forefathers of smoking for years because it is readily available.  Recently cold smoked 40 lbs. of cured bacon for 6 hours with pecan and it is fantastic. 

Reactions: AllenRR
Looking to buy bulk pecan wood .. in New Jersey... any thoughts? Looking for sticks or splits rather than chunks, Thinking a cord or two ..

Thanks

I'm not sure about NJ, but here in Missouri, Pecan wood is plentiful. It has a milder flavor than Oak or Hickory. I use it on Chicken and veggies all the time.

Somebody needs to come up with Pecan cologne because it smells that good. I tried it due to my research here at the SMF and it is by far my favorite wood at this point. I am able to find it at Home Depot but nobody else in the area appears to carry this type of wood. No access to forests here in So Cal so I just use chunks on my OKJ.

George

Stumbled upon SMF randomly, this thread is a top pecan Google result, sry for reviving again :) If anyone reads this far, here is my experience with pecan, used mostly in an Akorn JR (a tricky small smoke, but so convenient and great).

First of all, I love all the flavors of all the woods....but that does not mean all the woods are equal. Pecan is superior in many ways. In my opinion (IMO) it is the most superior wood for all around, all cases.

Since no one has really addressed the pecan flavor in any G thread I've seen...I offer my opinion. The initial smoke off the bat is a most delicious mixture of carmelization+ vanilla, and noticeably deep in a fruity way. That initial caramel fruit burn doesn't wear off too quickly, instead transitions nicely into aromas similar to a good clean/white oak. It's a solid wood, with heart core redish in lucky slices. There seems to be a bit more heat than oak/lump, the burn is a bit faster, but not so much that chunks of pecan side by side would burn out on you.

For full heat, the imparted flavor lends itself more than others (IMO) towards the delicious end of the sear reaction. You can spice up the heat and still retain wood flavor, without overdoing it or bittering out. In low and slow, some solid fist chunks gives a good base, and for more flavor you can add 3-4 chips as you need to keep up wherever your coals are hitting. For those who aren't looking for piercing or obtrusive smoke flavor taking the stage, this wood is for you. It's about the food, not your wood, right? This wood always performs.

Pecan is not hard to find if you're in the right area. Walmart (or other chains) carry it for less than $6 a bag for chunks here in NW PA. The bag will last you a solid month if you split it with good hardwood lump, and don't have a huuuuge grill :) 3 chunks give a bunch of flavor to handfuls of lump.

These are a few of my favorite things about pecan:

- Fist or chunks of pecan work very well when combined with decent lump. Use lump as heat, and pecan as flavor. The pecan lasts forever even with a ton of lump around. It's a predictable heat with relatively low ash.

- The pecan is light enough, yet robust enough in all the right ways, so that most folks enjoy the flavor. I have onboarded many folks who "hate smoked meats" but "love the charcoal flavor" onto pecan, and they never new it happened.

- Hands down theeeee best smelling smoke (IMO), especially once any Liquid Aminos, Garlic, Onion, or Herbs start their drippings. If you're going to fill your neighborhood or festival, you might as well do it right :)

- The family + neighborhood + consumers comment more about the pecan aromas more than other woods I grill/smoke with. Maybe this is a vanity/random thing, but I just find it interesting that pecan brings more attention (even before the meal hits the grill).

Overall, if you haven't tried pecan, do it tomorrow :)

-

How long does it typically take for pecan wood to be dry enough? I have a friend who has a full backyard of pecan trees. I can't believe I haven't thought of snatching up fallen branches until now??!!

I need to research but I'm guessing if I snap a branch and as long as it isn't green or sappy, it's good to go?

Hey Banderson,

I have used small branches immediately after breaking them apart but have a bunch of logs that I let season for at least 6 months before using.
Cut up a bunch and get it started seasoning then watch out because pecan is great for smoking.

Reactions: phatbac
Pecan/apple combo for my turkeys and chicken. Nothing better than the smell of the 2 together, the entire hood knows what I'm cooking based on the smells filling their homes. The taste is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best turkey I ever had was pecan smoked with honey butter put on right at the end of the cook.

Was at Ace Hardware with the wife who was buying plants or something. Happened to need wood chunks and they had some on sale. Just used up the last of my apple chips, so I thought I'd try something new. Choice was either mesquite or pecan. I chose the pecan. Has anybody used it a lot? What is it like? Anything it's particularly good smoking with? Thanks.
Chicken pork ribs sausage love pecan try it

So I’m on the hunt for buying bulk amounts of pecan wood at a reasonable price. I live in Michigan and I’m not wanting to buy from a store. Does anyone know or have any they would sell? I’m currently in the Lake Charles, LA area.

If you have the muscle, you should be able to find all you want after hurricane Ida blew through the Baton Rouge area. Either cut it yourself or ride around and find some for sale cut and stacked by the road.....

Reactions: Mr. Zorg
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky