Anybody curing meat this weekend?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mmmm Meat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 6, 2021
I was supposed to take my son fishing for the trout season opening tomorrow. Wind, rain, and lack of fish stocking by WA Fish and Wildlife proved those plans a total waste of time, with a shot of misery on the side. With nothing else cooking today, it seemed like a great opportunity to cure some meat. Grabbed some pork, diced it up, then decided on a recipe based on the spices I had on hand.- Sopressata!! Why not?

I was not prepared to press sausages today but that was not going to stop me. Flat Sopressata must taste just like round Sopressata (though we eat with our eyes first). Next time, I'll be more prepared to make an authentic version of this recipe.

Anybody else curing meat this weekend?

sopressata.jpg
. Next time

Reactions: SCBBQ
wet curing spares and baby backs. really want to slice up a butt for cured pork steaks, no band saw though.. we'll see..

You guys are making me hungry. Lots of good meat I'd love a chance to sit in on a whole hog butchering - I've watched vids but up close and in person.... What a learning opportunity.

wet curing spares and baby backs. really want to slice up a butt for cured pork steaks, no band saw though.. we'll see..

Sawzall? Hunter's bone saw for Elk? My neighbor used to buy a new carpenter's saw when he broke down big cuts. Hilarious.

Reactions: Hamdrew
Be curious how that comes out. Seems like what some would call “holiday ham” with the extra spices.
So will I. I will do a separate thread but I basically made a super-duper corning brine which did have 16 ounces of beer. The main difference this time was I took some chilled brine and added some AmesPhos and injected the pieces, then held them in a separate bag for 3 or 4 hours before adding them to the brine bucket.

So will I. I will do a separate thread but I basically made a super-duper corning brine which did have 16 ounces of beer. The main difference this time was I took some chilled brine and added some AmesPhos and injected the pieces, then held them in a separate bag for 3 or 4 hours before adding them to the brine bucket.
I’ll be watching for sure. The phos is a big deal. Especially on lean pork cuts. That along with cooking no higher than about 150* makes pork great again!

Nice! The bacon and ribs look fantastic. Super moist spareribs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky