Any homemade wine makers out there?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I will recommend something slightly different.  You can make wine out of anything that doesnt move.  PERIOD.  Get yourself a hydrometer (maybe 6 bucks) a couple fermentation locks (you could use baloons) wine yeast (buck a pack) and a boat load of sugar.  If you add enough sugar to whatever it may be your fermenting to make the hydrometer float to 1.090 on the scale you will have roughly 13% alcohol (depends on the yeast).  Add your yeast to the must and let ferment until specific gravity reaches 1.020 and move to secondary.  Rack a few times and stabilize.  Sweeten if necessary.  Bottle.  The recipe you described will work if you want to play around.  If you have any questions at all let me know.  I am on my 140th gallon this year.  The last wine im doing (Rhubarb) will be bottled very shortly.

Jim

In the Caribbean they make the same thing then run it through a still. They call the finished product "skull popper"

Last edited:
All my other hobbies seem to annoy my wife because of start up costs, Smoking meats, Sausage making, etc... This stuff, Skeeter Pee and Apfelwein sounds like fun with a high yield from a small foot print. She will have to get over it...JJ

I consider myself a fairly serious "mazer" (mead maker)  I love honey wine!  Have made MANY over the years.  My favorite is one I call Strawberry Pizazz..made with 14 pounds of Orange Blossom Honey and 18 pounds of fresh strawberries.  It is really good.  I also do a couple of different Hard Ciders as well. I see someone posted about ApfelWein..I've tried it and don't care for it at all. Not very complex, and fairly "untastey"

Dan

I consider myself a fairly serious "mazer" (mead maker)  I love honey wine!  Have made MANY over the years.  My favorite is one I call Strawberry Pizazz..made with 14 pounds of Orange Blossom Honey and 18 pounds of fresh strawberries.  It is really good.  I also do a couple of different Hard Ciders as well. I see someone posted about ApfelWein..I've tried it and don't care for it at all. Not very complex, and fairly "untastey"

Dan
Dan can you post some Recipes and instructions or useful links for Mead production. My Daughter Casey (Ski302) has been bringing up Mead quite frequently lately...JJ

I would be interested too...how many gallons does that get you...that is a lot of strawberries....i've only made mead once...but I've become a sipper in my older age...and lazy..so much easier to just go down the road to my local brewpub and tell them to fill up a 5 gallon keg...havent touch my brew equipment in over 6 years...

140 gallons in 9 days???

icon_eek.gif

~Martin
biggrin.gif
HAHAH sorry 140 gallons last year.  I have 10 gallons of Rhubarb I have to bottle now and then I am making my famous mint wine.  mMMMMMMM....

i just started my first batch of plum and my first batch of watermellon wines.

now i have to try skeeter pee, thanks guys, the wife gunna kick my butt!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky