Any Consensus Over Opitmum Brisket Internal Temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Did you delete your comment about  after 4 hours the smoke is done? I posted a couple of years ago about something similar being taught by a pitmaster who ran BBQ classes here in the Pacific Northwest. He contended that once the pellicle formed no more smoke could be absorbed by the meat. Many guys here disagreed. I also wonder about that because from all the BBQ competitions I've watched, all the pros barbecue their meats all day/night over wood smoke. None of them wrapped the meat but they kept adding wood logs to their offset smokers. But I can't remember if they showed contestants adding wood chunks to their BGEs or Webers if they were using those to smoke meat.

First, I and a number of guys have the same problem with wood pellets going out. I had that problem last Monday when I smoked a beef tenderloin roast. The problem appears to be worse in cooler weather. I also store the wood pellets in their plastic bags. The pellets I used on Monday are about 2-3 years old. Some guys will nuke the pellets for about a minute or so. 

So that I don't have to look it up, what's the Weber Slow and Sear?
I usually fill my AMNPS and put it in the MES for about 30 minutes while it's preheating, that heat/dries the pellets out, use a torch to light it, and heat gun to get a nice, red hot cherry on the end of the line of pellets before placing in the mailbox. Still having issues with it going out. My wife likes a light, "kiss" of smoke, too much and she will not eat it, so if it goes out for a while, I don't panic. 

Here is the Slow N Sear.

I've used it a few times and it works pretty well. Comes with a little booklet that tells you how to best utilize it. Basically, it sets up 2 zone cooking in your kettle, and also has a built in water reservoir. It says 8+ hours but both time I've used it, 10.5 to 11 hours later I still had 225 degrees. It was a bit tough to get down that low, had to actually spray the coals with a little water after 2 hours but once it got to down to 225-235, it stayed pretty steady. 

I usually fill my AMNPS and put it in the MES for about 30 minutes while it's preheating, that heat/dries the pellets out, use a torch to light it, and heat gun to get a nice, red hot cherry on the end of the line of pellets before placing in the mailbox. Still having issues with it going out. My wife likes a light, "kiss" of smoke, too much and she will not eat it, so if it goes out for a while, I don't panic. 

Here is the Slow N Sear.

I've used it a few times and it works pretty well. Comes with a little booklet that tells you how to best utilize it. Basically, it sets up 2 zone cooking in your kettle, and also has a built in water reservoir. It says 8+ hours but both time I've used it, 10.5 to 11 hours later I still had 225 degrees. It was a bit tough to get down that low, had to actually spray the coals with a little water after 2 hours but once it got to down to 225-235, it stayed pretty steady. 
It looks interesting and I like the idea of it. But that thing costs more than what I paid for my Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver kettle grill. That's the same reason I never bought the rotisserie attachment. For indirect heat cooking on the Weber I already have the charcoal briquette holders. I just place an empty foil pan between them to use as a drip tray. For low and slow cooking I still prefer my MES 30.

This maybe clear off the thread but try cooking your brisket in the oven at 250 for about 5 hours, 8 to 10 lbs. I put it in a foil pan and tightly wrap it the entire 5 hours. I season it and it comes out pull apart tender every time. I will use this as my gauge after my smoker purchase. Just want to attempt to duplicate the tenderness with alot more flavor. Looking forward to the next adventure.

This maybe clear off the thread but try cooking your brisket in the oven at 250 for about 5 hours, 8 to 10 lbs. I put it in a foil pan and tightly wrap it the entire 5 hours. I season it and it comes out pull apart tender every time. I will use this as my gauge after my smoker purchase. Just want to attempt to duplicate the tenderness with alot more flavor. Looking forward to the next adventure.
Your post is definitely relevant to the thread. I think it was one of Jeff Phillips' recipes I first read about smoking a brisket in a foil pan. I usually just place it on the rack. Jeff says even in the pan the brisket will still absorb smoke. I think 250 is a reasonable cooking temp but I guess it's the wrapping the 8-10 lbs. brisket (in foil I assume) is what's getting it pull apart tender after only 5 hours. Unwrapped in my smoker it would be hitting 160° after 5 hours. Mine usually take 9-11 hours to get fully done. My set point is 235° but with the temp swings in a MES 30 Gen 1 the temp can fluctuate up to 250° or so or down to 225° during heating cycles.

Yes, wait till you try smoking a beef brisket in a smoker. You get the smoky deliciousness of the tender meat wrapped in a nice, crunchy bark. With my nest brisket I'm wrapping it in butcher paper instead of foil and will report back the results. Many guys choose to cook them naked, choosing not to employ the Texas Crutch.

Reactions: bswanney
If I may add a tidbit of information.

I'm a chemist by trade.

There is something called an enthalpy change that requires more energy or absorbs more energy to change states.

The heating rate is linear until it nears the boiling point of water, then it flattens out until it boils. Then won't heat anymore because it's now steam.

I.e. When water boils it heats up steadily until about 210 Deg F, then takes seemingly forever to actually start boiling.

That's because it requires more energy to change from a liquid to a vapor (steam).

Inverse for freezing.

Ice cubes require more energy to change from a solid to a liquid.

That's why ice works better than cubes of plastic at cooling your drinks.

The cubes suck heat out of the water as it changes states from a solid to a liquid.

I'm sure the same principal works for the fats, proteins, etc. in a brisket, or any piece of food.

When wax changes states to a liquid.

I'm cooking a  brisket right now that's stuck at 180 Deg. F for 2 hours.

Which is why I came to this forum!

Reactions: daricksta

If I may add a tidbit of information.

I'm a chemist by trade.

There is something called an enthalpy change that requires more energy or absorbs more energy to change states.

The heating rate is linear until it nears the boiling point of water, then it flattens out until it boils. Then won't heat anymore because it's now steam.

I.e. When water boils it heats up steadily until about 210 Deg F, then takes seemingly forever to actually start boiling.

That's because it requires more energy to change from a liquid to a vapor (steam).

Inverse for freezing.

Ice cubes require more energy to change from a solid to a liquid.

That's why ice works better than cubes of plastic at cooling your drinks.

The cubes suck heat out of the water as it changes states from a solid to a liquid.

I'm sure the same principal works for the fats, proteins, etc. in a brisket, or any piece of food.

When wax changes states to a liquid.

I'm cooking a  brisket right now that's stuck at 180 Deg. F for 2 hours.

Which is why I came to this forum!
That's great information, along the lines of what Dave Omak provides. I didn't know any of that. I think the last time I smoked a brisket flat it stalled twice--at around 150° and then again around 180°. Two stalls have never happened to me before but then my MES 30 is doing some things it's never done before which might call for a relatively minor electrical repair.

After watching an Aaron Franklin video and reading his cookbook along with an interview I invested in unlined butcher paper to wrap briskets in. The video showed that a paper-wrapped brisket results in a better product than a naked or a foiled brisket. With my next smoke I plan to test it out.

I got my recipe from a person who used to travel the smoking contests. You smoke it un covered for 5-6 hrs , than wrap in foil for another 4-5 hrs, take out and wrap in news paper over the foil and put in a cooler for 2 hrs. I comes out perfect, internal temp is around 200-205, the smoker temp should be 225 degrees, full smoke for the first 5-6 hrs.. 

Glad I could help.

Maybe that's why we hear some of the pit masters smoking for 12 or 14 hours.

I have an idea i'll try soon. Smoke the meat for 4-6 hours until it gets stuck at 180 Deg.

Then stick a thermometer in it and put it in a pressure cooker on a very low setting with a little water in it and monitor the temp and see how it comes out.

Just an experiment....That's what I do.

I don't want to alienate any smokers out there!

(Science lesson #2; the boiling point of water increases under pressure.)

The same gas law is why Brady's footballs lost pressure when they were brought out to the cold air.

I'll let y'all know.

RickB

Patriots season ticket holder since 1971 and livin' in and lovin' Houston.

Now the Texans are my #2 Team. They could go all the way this year!

And, I love TX BBQ!

Glad I could help.

Maybe that's why we hear some of the pit masters smoking for 12 or 14 hours.

I have an idea i'll try soon. Smoke the meat for 4-6 hours until it gets stuck at 180 Deg.

Then stick a thermometer in it and put it in a pressure cooker on a very low setting with a little water in it and monitor the temp and see how it comes out.

Just an experiment....That's what I do.

I don't want to alienate any smokers out there!

(Science lesson #2; the boiling point of water increases under pressure.)

The same gas law is why Brady's footballs lost pressure when they were brought out to the cold air.

I'll let y'all know.

RickB

Patriots season ticket holder since 1971 and livin' in and lovin' Houston.

Now the Texans are my #2 Team. They could go all the way this year!

And, I love TX BBQ!
I join you in your TX BBQ lovefest. I also love pressure cooker cooking. But I tell ya, that would have to be at least a 10 qt. jobber for that brisket flat to fit. Mine is an 8 qt and can handle a large-ish boneless chuck roast but a brisket flat would be too long and I wouldn't want to have to slice it in half before the cook was finished.

I got my recipe from a person who used to travel the smoking contests. You smoke it un covered for 5-6 hrs , than wrap in foil for another 4-5 hrs, take out and wrap in news paper over the foil and put in a cooler for 2 hrs. I comes out perfect, internal temp is around 200-205, the smoker temp should be 225 degrees, full smoke for the first 5-6 hrs.. 
I've done the foil thing which is why I'm switching to butcher paper. But I agree that when it's removed from the smoker to wrap it in foil and place it in a cooler. A lot of guys places newspapers on top but I just pile on a couple of towels.

Some guys and pros look for an IT of 195° which is what I hit last time I smoked one. But before that I also went for 200-205° IT and in my opinion that's the sweet spot. At 195° the soft fat and collagen still aren't rendered down to where I like it. I also try for a 225° set point but right now my MES 30 controller insists on pushing the temp up 40-60 degrees higher. I've been told I may need to service a couple of wires and connectors behind the rectangular plate in the back. I'll look into that before I smoke my next brisket. I have a 12 lb. whole packer brisket in the freezer just waiting for some smoky love.  

What's the best rub to use?

Should I let it sit in the rub overnight?

Should I brine the brisket?

I'm doing a brisket this weekend.

Oh, actually.

I'm in Detox this weekend. (LOL) Too much hooch causing Diabeties, according to Dr. 

I used to be an athlete and the girls came looking for me...40 years ago..

Ask me about Debbie Allen sometime...

So, I'll do the smoking next weekend.

RickB

In the kitchen my wife and I typically cook a brisket in a slow cooker or a Dutch oven according to what recipe we're using. Yes, it always comes out tender. Cooking it in a smoker delightfully results in a whole other animal with bark if it's done right. There's just a bit more work when you smoke a brisket.

That's great information, along the lines of what Dave Omak provides. I didn't know any of that. I think the last time I smoked a brisket flat it stalled twice--at around 150° and then again around 180°. Two stalls have never happened to me before but then my MES 30 is doing some things it's never done before which might call for a relatively minor electrical repair.

After watching an Aaron Franklin video and reading his cookbook along with an interview I invested in unlined butcher paper to wrap briskets in. The video showed that a paper-wrapped brisket results in a better product than a naked or a foiled brisket. With my next smoke I plan to test it out.
I hope the Aaron Franklin book is a good book because I just ordered one from Amazon last night and it is suppoe to be deliered tomorrow (Friday)

I hope the Aaron Franklin book is a good book because I just ordered one from Amazon last night and it is suppoe to be deliered tomorrow (Friday)
I thought it looked amazing. At $30 it was just too pricey for just the few recipes I was interested in: pork ribs and beef brisket. If I didn't already have library of smoking and grilling books I woulda plunked down my dough when I saw it on the shelf at Powell's City Of Books in Portland, OR. It has a great text where Aaron tells you everything and it also has plenty of instructional photos. I decided that since there are online videos and interviews where Aaron says and demonstrates the same stuff that I'd go with them. At least he turned me onto keeping pork ribs unwrapped and using butcher paper to wrap briskets. I still prefer to cook briskets to a higher IT than he does. I think the pros pull them too early at 195 degrees but I can't remember exactly his IT preference.

Hey, enjoy the book and please post a review on it.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky