Another Which Grill to choose thread!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

retfr8flyr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 20, 2013
Providence Forge, VA
Hey guys my Akorn grill is on it's last legs, rusting out and I am thinking abut replacing it with a pellet grill next spring. I think a Big Joe and a pellet grill would be a good combination, for my needs. I have been researching them but there are so many different variables that it gets a little overwhelming. I want something around 600-700 sq inch cooking area, so the 24 inch grills are out and I am trying to keep it under $1400. I am leaning towards the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull. This grill fits my budget, everything I read on this grill is positive and it has all the stainless steel components I desire. Does anyone have any knowledge about this grill, or any recommendations on a different grill. I know with all the import taxes on China the cost of all the grills will increase, as they are all made in China, in my price range but that won't stop from looking now.

Have to put a plug in for Louisiana Grills. It is a lesser known name but the quality is very good. They also make a line of their grills/smokers right here in the good ol' US of A!!! They have been around a while so aren't going anywhere. Their customer service has been good as well. At least it's worth taking a look at.

Good luck on the decision. I know it can be overwhelming at times.

the warranty with the rec tec is what I wanted to buy but the wife vetoed that idea ,been happy with my PB so far ,bought it in may

Looking hard at the Camp Chef Woodwind SG now. It has 21/2 inches in height over the old model, which allows for a full rack on the top. This would give me the extra space when I need it, without having to heat up a 36 inch grill for 2 steaks. Does anyone have any experience with the new SG Woodwind models.

Well after much further research, I have decided to stop agonizing over which grill to get and just get the Rec Tec RT-700 Bull, when I actually get one. The Bull meets all my requirements, has great reviews, has a 6 year warranty and falls within my budget. So next year, depending on how bad I get killed with taxes under the new rules, I plan on getting one with the front shelf, cover and maybe the grillin grates.

Got a hands on look at the Traeger Timberline 1300 yesterday, not impressed. The front shelf is just decorative, it's not deep enough to be useful, maybe to hold the corner of a tray while you open the lid. Their vaunted double wall construction consists of a piece of what looks like 24 gauge stainless steel screwed to the walls with about 3/4 inch air gap, they are not sealed together just an open air gap, The lid is nice and sturdy and I like the seal and the hinges but not really impressed with the rest. The racks are very heavy duty but the bottom rack, which is very heavy, already had a bow in it, at least in the model I was looking at, from being so heavy with only supports on the sides, I can't see how it will hold under lots of heavy meat. In the lower position it has better support but not in the upper position. I think they would have been much better off making it a 2 piece design. I am glad I wasn't really considering the Timberline anymore.

Assassin 36? Wat about that? American made by real welders. Insulated door. Custom build options available and priced right. Shipping to VA or pickup in GA only con.

I have looked at the Assassin 36 and it's looks like a good grill, I just like the Bull better. If I could get what I wanted it would be an Pitts & Spitts 1250, that is my dream grill. The Bull offers so much grill for the money, I just can't pass it up. I know it's made in China but so are all the other grills in my budget range. I was just surprised at the Timberline, after all the glowing reviews about it.

Reactions: SlickRockStones
So i've done my research and with add-ons, taxes and shipping it seems like i'm down to 5.

The Rec Tec 590 is around 1300 all in with the cattle package
The Bull is almost 1750 for the same
The Yoder 460 is around 1550 with shelf and cover and i'd have to pick it up from a local dealer
The GMG Daniel Boone wifi is 900 with the shelf and cover
The Camp Chef Woodwind (no burner but optional later) is 900 as well with shelf and cover

Of these i'm leaning the 590. We're only a family of 3 and I cant see needing the space of the bull so the warranty is really the only plus and 450 too much for that. I'm honestly really intrigued by the Yoder but i don't know a lot about them.

Any thoughts? Particularly from Yoder owners or 590 owners

Have had the Yoder 640 for one year and love it made in Kansas enough room for about anything not cheap but think it’ll outlast me

I, like many, have done the same research and posted similar threads - like..."Is the Yoder worth $750 more than the Rec-Tec 700". Check that one out.

I'm going with the Rec-Tec 700 based much on that thread's logic. Fits for my needs.

I own a Yoder 640 and love it. It is absolutely the best pellet grill I have ever owned. I really like how I can smoke or grill since the grill can hit temps of 600-700°. I have never owned a Rec-Tec but from the forum they seem like very nice smokers.

If money is not an issue I would for sure get a Yoder. If money is more of a concern I would get the Rec-Tec because it will produce similar quality food.

Reactions: retfr8flyr
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky