Another Pellet Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
I bought the A-Maze-N Products 12"moke tube and the 6" - 9" expandable smoke tube over the weekend (I already have the 5x8 maze as well) and a few 20 Lb. bags of Lumberjack Char Hickory pellets which got me to thinking...

When using a smoke tube filled with the Lumberjack pellets as the main source of constant rolling smoke, would it make a huge difference filling my hopper with the cheaper Pit Boss Hickory pellets as the main heat source?

I'm just wondering if anybody else does this and what their results are as it might be a good way of saving some money on pellets.

Well I don't have a pellet pooper, but I think you have the right idea in using cheaper pellets of the same flavour profile as a fuel source. I use pitboss a fair bit and they aren't all that bad when you have a good bag.

Let me know about them charcoal hickory pellets...Lumberjack is actually made in my state and I like them alot, but that is one blend I didn't try!

I bought the A-Maze-N Products 12"moke tube and the 6" - 9" expandable smoke tube over the weekend (I already have the 5x8 maze as well) and a few 20 Lb. bags of Lumberjack Char Hickory pellets which got me to thinking...

When using a smoke tube filled with the Lumberjack pellets as the main source of constant rolling smoke, would it make a huge difference filling my hopper with the cheaper Pit Boss Hickory pellets as the main heat source?

I'm just wondering if anybody else does this and what their results are as it might be a good way of saving some money on pellets.

This is the route that some, myself included, go.

Cheaper pellets for the fuel source. Premium m pellets in the smoke tube.

I guess it could make sense but not to me. If you need to use a smoke tube to get more smoke flavor, then why take away flavor by using less flavorful pellets? I really like my Lumberjack pellets and I use them in both the hopper and the smoke tube, on the occasions I use a smoke tube.

I guess it could make sense but not to me. If you need to use a smoke tube to get more smoke flavor, then why take away flavor by using less flavorful pellets? I really like my Lumberjack pellets and I use them in both the hopper and the smoke tube, on the occasions I use a smoke tube.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/are-all-pellets-created-equal.180686/

The whole thread was informative. But post #18 and post #20 have influenced my methods a lot.

But I’m with you. I use what I’d consider to be “good” pellets in both the tube and the hopper.

For example, I’ll use Lumberjack or CookinPellets perfect mix in the hopper and A-MAZ-N pure hickory pellets in the smoke tube if I’m using a tube.

Last edited:
Reactions: retfr8flyr
The cheapest price I've found locally is Pit Boss pellets at Wally World for $9.50/20 lbs. But I use LJ pellets from a home dealer at $10.00/20 lbs, so see no advantage in saving $0.50 per bag on a pellet that has only 30% actual flavor wood in the pellet. And about the only time I use my smoke tube is when I'm cooking something at a grill temp setting above 225*F. My 160*F and 220*F smoke settings give ME enough smoke flavor. YMMV on what is 'enough' smoke flavor. :emoji_wink:

Unfortunately Lumberjack pellets in my area are about $22/20 lbs, but well worth it with the smoke profile they give off. Would also be open to Pit boss pellets again as those were actually much better than I thought.

For me, Lumberjack pellets are $14.99/20 LB bag vs. Pit Boss Hickory pellets (Blue bag from Walmart) $8.99/20 LB bag. So the Pit Boss pellets are a little more than half the cost of the Lumberjacks which is why I was thinking using the Pit Boss pellets as the main fuel source and saving the Lumberjacks for the smoke tube might be a good way to save some cash on pellets. I guess I will have to play around and just experiment and see how it works out.

If you have a Dicks near you, they will price match LJ pellets and make them the same cost. Find a nice ad for Rural King at 8.88 a bag or less....and baam....pit boss prices for premium pellets.

For me, Lumberjack pellets are $14.99/20 LB bag vs. Pit Boss Hickory pellets (Blue bag from Walmart) $8.99/20 LB bag. So the Pit Boss pellets are a little more than half the cost of the Lumberjacks which is why I was thinking using the Pit Boss pellets as the main fuel source and saving the Lumberjacks for the smoke tube might be a good way to save some cash on pellets. I guess I will have to play around and just experiment and see how it works out.

Just go in on a group buy for LJ - they're always going on around Sacto. Price is around 8.50/20lbs delivered. You need to buy 500#, which ain't much if you own a pellet grill.

You won't have to worry about using the best or cheapest, cause they are one and the same.

Last edited:
Just go in on a group buy for LJ - they're always going on around Sacto. Price is around 8.50/20lbs delivered. You need to buy 500#, which ain't much if you own a pellet grill.

You won't have to worry about using the best or cheapest, cause they are one and the same.

That would be awesome... not sure how to get in on a group buy though.

Awesome. Doesn't seem to be one in my area right now but I will definitely keep an eye on this. Thanks!

Just contact them and they will start one for you. Then others will join. I'm in the Bay Area, and it usually takes only a few weeks from start to finish.

Just contact them and they will start one for you. Then others will join. I'm in the Bay Area, and it usually takes only a few weeks from start to finish.

Cool, thanks for the info, I will contact them to start one.

Also, I'm originally from the Bay area too, San Jose specifically. I relocated to Sac about 3 years ago.

I come from the theory (and practice) that a quality pellet (100% of the advertised wood) is very important even as fuel for the grill. To me the Flavor starts at the source of the heat. To be honest, by using a good quality pellet I've found there's not as much of a need for the AMPS & I only use it about 10% to 20% of the time. I just cook with a pellet made from wood of my choice and I get a great product. There are several really good 100% pellets on the market.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky