Another Mailbox Mod - struggling with smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Northern MN

Thanks----You should add that to your profile, so people don't have to ask you for it all the time.
You got a lot of suggestions to try here, but I'll add that even though I had very little trouble with my AMNPS that I just burned it right inside my MES units, even I had trouble burning Cherry Pellets, no matter what.
So I burned mostly Hickory, and if I wanted to burn Cherry, I would use Cherry Sawdust, instead of Cherry Pellets.

Bear

I have a couple rows of 1/4" holes along the bottom of my mailbox. But my biggest improvement was putting a couple larger holes in the mailbox door.

If you continue to have problems with the maze I would also suggest using the tube.

I've modified my tubes with u-bolts and I burn dust in my tubes.This setup produces great thin blue smoke and in some cases can rival the maze in duration of smoke.For a more detailed explanation of what I do click on the link in my signature.

I microwave my pellets twice for 2 mins, and stir them between goes. then I light them and let them burn for 10 mins. After blowing out the flames, i male sure there's a good, glowing cherry, and put the tray in the box. that works for me.
adding a hole in the door higher up will help move the smoke into the smoker. the lower holes provide oxygen and the higher one promotes movement.
Gary

Reactions: Winterrider
I really don't think you need such a vent stack. I use to use the tube but felt way too much smoke. Now just the AMNPS. Run a butane torch on the top and bottom of the pellets while in the AMNPS. I then fire up a row and let it burn for 5-10 minutes, then into the mailbox it goes.
I use the tray, same as Cmayna. When adding pellets, I tap it all sides to make the pellets pack and settle, then add whatever is needed to fill and tap all sides again. Burns to completion every time.

Reactions: daveomak
I had trouble keeping the maze going... Then a member suggested elevating it so fresh air could get to the holes in the bottom... It solved all my problems with smoke...

View attachment 518920

3 holes may help... Upper hole stops recirculating smoke from happening and helps to burn the creosote......
View attachment 518921
Great point Dave, elevated tray helped me tremendously.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky