Another 80 Gallon Air Tank

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dogwreck

Original poster
Aug 11, 2017
I am in the planning stages of building a reverse flow 80 gallon air tank smoker. I have put all the numbers in the Feldon calculator, but I dont understand the half moon diameter. On the numbers I entered its says. 12.77 inches for a half moon. Do i cut a half moon out of 12.77, or do I cut a half moon out of 6.385 circle??? 12.77 seem really huge. Thanks

I am in the planning stages of building a reverse flow 80 gallon air tank smoker. I have put all the numbers in the Feldon calculator, but I dont understand the half moon diameter. On the numbers I entered its says. 12.77 inches for a half moon. Do i cut a half moon out of 12.77, or do I cut a half moon out of 6.385 circle??? 12.77 seem really huge. Thanks
To answer your question the half moon cutout would be 12.77" wide at the top by roughly 6" 3/4" tall. What size firebox are you running with?

a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg

I dont think this message got posted with my pictures. Ok haven't been on here in a while , I have been busy, but I am caught up and have been working on my offset reverse flow 80 gallon tank. I went with a 19" square firebox per the Feldon calculator. My plate is going to be 4.5" -5" below my grate, and the plate has a 1" fall away from the fire box. I have some question's for ya'll that know. I am going with a plentum out the side of the CC with a 4" square tube on that. The plenum will be right above the top and back of the firebox. 1.) Should I apply another plate over the fire box thats inside the CC and right under the plenum? I am thinking I may lose a lot of heat there. 2.) The Feldon calculation doesn't give inputs for a square smoke stack length. Should I treat it the same as a 4" round? 3.) I have heard guys putting firebrick in the firebox, and I understand that, but some even suggest putting 6-8 inside the CC under the plate just for heat sink. Is that a good idea? 4.) I guess if I wanted to could I just throw some charcoal on top of the plate for some quick charcoal cooking?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky