Another 120 gallon reverse flow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May I suggest you add upper air inlets to the firebox... The air from those inlets will move the heat from the FB to the CC without adding air to the fire.... Save you on fuel... also will help to even out temps across the meat rack while cooking...
Most folks really like the addition...

If you’d look back a few comments you’d see we already went over this. Not a fan of the upper inlets that you are constantly promoting for whatever reason. A properly designed smoker with the right size openings and exhaust doesn’t need that extra opening. I can cold smoke on my 60 gallon RF that has the upper inlet but I only use it to look inside the FB without opening the door. Other than that the upper inlet was a waste of time and effort I’ll never put another one on a smoker I build.

Gotta go with Dave on this one. I Have always had better luck dividing my inlet requirement by 3, then placing 2/3 of my inlet requirements on the door below the fire grate with 2 independent vents. The last third is located on the fb door center line such that the bottom of the third vent is no more than 1” below or 3” higher than the bottom of the fire grate. All three vents are full open until the cc is up to temp. Then the top is closed, and bottom two are used to stabilize the cc temp. Once cc temps are stable, the top vent is used to regulate the cc temps for pretty much the rest of the cook. I only settled on the design after testing with multiple thermocouples rigged in the interior of the cc to measure heat distribution based on firebox door air inlet design. It took several weeks to complete, and by the time I was done, I had built and tested 6 different vent designs (and as many as 3 variations of some designs) in both calm and controlled wind conditions before settling on the 3 independent vent configuration as described. To be honest, it isn’t perfect, but the results proved to be the most consistent entry over the range of testing.
Ironically, had I only used the temp readings indicated on the door thermometers, 5 of the 6 designs would have “passed” on the first test.
However, the thermocouple measurements told an entirely different story about what was happening behind the closed doors.
Granted, many other variables play a big role in cc heat distribution (exhaust size/ location, plenum design/location, etc) and it is entirely possible your design works extremely well for the cookers you build, and if that is the case, stay with it. But, I would be interested in seeing what some instrumented testing shows.

Reactions: daveomak
I get same temp across the grate within 10 degrees. If I go and build a crazy fire in it I’ll get as much as 50 degrees difference from one end to the other. It all comes down to fire management. I put the upper vent on my first build and like I said it’s always closed. I tried to use it but I get much better results using only the lower vents. I’ve cold smoked at 125 and had it all the way up to 350-375 with a turkey in there. No where in those temp ranges did the upper vent do anything but cause big temp fluctuations. With using only the lower vents I get a clean burning fire and easily controlled temps. If anyone chooses to put in the upper vents by all means go with what they want and what they think will work best. But twice in one thread he’s pushing it and I already explained why I don’t put it. A lot of people have been in arguments with Dave about chimney height and size, his build tutorial, and the upper vent. I went to Dave for advice on my first build, as he was talked of so highly on this forum. But I questioned his reasoning on exhaust sizing and he instantly ignored me and refused to answer any questions after that. This is the third smoker I’ve built. I’m not saying I build the perfect smoker but I’m well past needing advice from someone who thinks his way is the only way. Also not saying he hasn’t built a smoker but I’ve yet to see one that he has built. This forum used to be great with a ton of super talented and knowledgeable guys posting builds. Now it’s all new people coming for advice and the only one left to offer any is only interested in pushing his dang upper vent and get into pissing contests about how brilliant he is in smoker design. I only finished this thread so that someone new could see an entire build from start to finish, because there are so many dead threads on here that never got to the finish.

socalcooker,
I sincerely apologize for passing on information our members have found very helpful...
I promise that will not ever happen again...
Have a great day.....
Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky