AMNPS 5 X 8 and MES 40 Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1. Make sure the rear drip hole is open, and that the drip pan at the bottom doesn't have that hole foiled over (if you cover the tray in foil). It provides additional air.

2. Pull the chip tray out slightly (as Braz showed).

3. Make sure you don't let anything drip on the AMNPS. Use foil on the rack(s) above to give it a "tent" that stops any drips.

4. If you have a heat gun, use it to light the chips because it can get a bigger hunk of chips going, and it preheats the other chips. Here's a video I did a few years ago, showing how I do it:

Using Heat Gun to Light A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker

I did make one error in that video, which I corrected by adding a text overlay: do NOT pull the bottom drip pan forward because otherwise you don't get the air from that hole in the back.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to try a different lighting method, and I'll also try it with the chip loader removed completely. I'm a little bummed out this didn't work as easily as I hoped, but perhaps I just need to tweak a few things. I also saw somewhere that people microwave their pellets or do other prep work to try to ensure a good burn. Do you guys do anything special or just dump them in the AMNPS?

I microwave mine for 1 min 15 sec, let sit with door open for 2 min then mix the pellets around and do another 1 min 15 sec.

Everyone's microwave could be a little different (stronger/weaker) so I recommend you don't go over 1 min 15sec or you may be coming back and telling a story about flaming pellets in the microwave... I've read them before :)

The microwave trick pretty much solved all my staying lit problems while lighting up. I believe the instructions are to light and let FLAME/BURN for 10 minutes and then blow out. If the pellets cannot stay lit for 10 minutes or very much close to 10 minutes then you may very likely run into issues during the smoke. Staying lit for the initial FLAME/BURN time period is a good indicator of whether or not your pellets will go out on you during the smoke.

After a good microwave and flame run then if your pellets are going out I would say it is due to lack of air/oxygen. At that point you may need to pull your chip loader out more.

I run a mailbox mod that is on little legs so I get really good airflow. The only times I may run into issues is when I'm burning 100% cherry. I think with cherry I'm going to start doing 3 or 4 cycles of 1 min 15 sec microwaving and if I'm doing jerky I will run my cold smoke assist gadget that should keep air flow going nicely :)

I've been somewhat in your shoes so I know how it feels. I hope this info helps you out when it comes to microwaving pellets... oh and get a better lighting method if you can :)

I've never had any luck with the tray smoker. I use the smoker tubes in my 2 MES 40's and I remove the chip tray completely so the smoker can "breathe". I use a propane torch to light the pellets, let the tube flame up good, then place in the bottom of the smoker after blowing the flames out. If there's no breeze to speak of, I use the blower I made from a computer fan and a piece of round duct pipe and place it in the chip drawer hole.

The problem is, I can't keep the thing lit. )

All of these solutions work for some people. I know that dry pellets are essential, I dry them in a microwave. Still sometimes have trouble keeping the AMNPS (5x7 tray) lit in the MES40; My site is inside a garage, with the door open, but not much local air movement at all. I now have a cheap box fan, a couple feet away, kind of indirectly pulling a draft out of the top vent of the MES. Way better!

I'm going to have to try a different lighting method, and I'll also try it with the chip loader removed completely. I'm a little bummed out this didn't work as easily as I hoped, but perhaps I just need to tweak a few things. I also saw somewhere that people microwave their pellets or do other prep work to try to ensure a good burn. Do you guys do anything special or just dump them in the AMNPS?

Yours is a Generation #2.5, so you don't want to do things Braz does.
You don't need to shift your heat from right to left, because the Gen #2.5 doesn't have that problem, because your top vent is on the left.

For the Gen #2,5:
Put your AMNPS on the bottom rack all the way on the right. The bottom rack is too close to the heat for any meat anyway.
Then pull the chip dumper out 2 to 3" & rotate it 180°.
Now light one end real good, preferably with a Propane, which has more balls than a wimpy Butane.
Note: Use a Butane when you use Dust, so it doesn't blow the Dust out of the Maze.
Every time the flame goes out, blow down & in on it until it flames up again.
Don't put it in the Smoker until you get a nice big Cigar-Like Cherry going. Might take off & on 20 minutes.
Then put it in where I said above. You're getting air flow from the chip dumper hole, so why put it way over on the left.

The Gen #1 works on the left because it was designed for the Gen #1, on the support rods on the left, with good air flow through them. When I had a Gen #1, I never had to pull my dumper out.

Bear

You can add more air, and do so in a more controlled manner, if you replace the chip loader with a tin can with some holes drilled in the end. I briefly show that in the video below of how to use the AMNPS in the MES 30 (sorry, it is not the same generation as yours).

Second, make sure that absolutely nothing can drip down onto the tray. If need be, add some aluminum foil on the shelf above the AMNPS so that nothing can drip from the food above.

Finally, you need to make sure that you let the chips burn, outside the smoker, for at least 5-10 minutes before putting it inside. I like to light mine with a heat gun, which has several advantages. First, it preheats the chips (probably not needed unless you live on the gulf coast where it is really humid). Second, it gets a larger "chunk" of pellets going than does a flame. Finally, it lets you superheat the pellets by letting the gun blow for a few seconds after the flame appears, although you don't want to overdo this or you will create a "crust" on the pellets that may actually cause the flame to die down.

Here is the video I made of how I use the heat gun (I've posted this a few times before). It also shows the tin can for more air.

Great Video of the Heat gun & AMNPS, John!!!
I used to have one that I removed from my edge bander when I closed my Cabinet shop, but I think it got borrowed & never found it's way home.
I would however, be careful covering a rack fully with foil, even on the top rack.

Bear

... I would however, be careful covering a rack fully with foil, even on the top rack.
Thanks for posting that clarification. I completely agree that you only want to create "an umbrella" with your aluminum foil that is just a little larger than the AMNPS, and most definitely would not want to cover the entire rack, because that would restrict the upward smoke flow.

You just want to make sure that nothing drips down from the meat onto the pellets because that moisture would definitely either douse the smouldering chips or, if pure fat, might actually cause some sort of flare-up, like what you get on a grill.

Thanks for posting that clarification. I completely agree that you only want to create "an umbrella" with your aluminum foil that is just a little larger than the AMNPS, and most definitely would not want to cover the entire rack, because that would restrict the upward smoke flow.

You just want to make sure that nothing drips down from the meat onto the pellets because that moisture would definitely either douse the smouldering chips or, if pure fat, might actually cause some sort of flare-up, like what you get on a grill.

Yup---To protect the AMNPS, I prefer a 9" X 11" Foil Pan, cut in half & put above the AMNPS "Up-Side-Down", like below.
Here's one in my Old Generation #1, on the left, above my AMNPS:
DSC03985.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky