Al pastor pork attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBinGB

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 24, 2020
I attempted Pork Al pastor for tacos last night.

First things first, the marinade. It was delicious and I don't think I'd change it.

1) 3.5 oz package of achiote paste
2 tbsp of guajillo chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 cup pineapple juice
3/4 cup white distilled vinegar
IMG_20220215_194141113.jpg
The achiote paste is supposed to dissolve in vinegar, but it was like a clay almost. I put on some gloves and broke up everything up using my fingers and rubbed marinade into the meat. If you had a blander might be a good idea to try blending the paste and vinegar before adding marinade. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.

Annnnnnnd here's where I screwed up. I cut my slices waaaay to thick at 3/4 inch. Live and learn. Next time I am shooting for 1/4 slices. I have considered maybe cutting deep slices into the butt while leaving it intact too. Kinda like a ham. You would have to work the marinade in-between the slices but might work.

Anyway, the next evening I loaded my giant slices into the spit and went to the rotisserie on my Weber. Hardwood briquettes with chunks of mesquite and pecan on top for smoke.
IMG_20220216_183745681.jpg
The big slice didn't want to all stay in place in the spit and some were flopping around. I should have used some butcher twine to tie it up but after a couple coronas and an empty stomach I wasn't thinking the clearest.

It was in the rotisserie for about 2.5 hours and got some decent color, but it was getting late and my wife and cousin were getting hungry. I eventually took everything off the spit, cut it up into pieces and finished in the oven.
IMG_20220216_205926458.jpg
Everyone loved the flavor, but we all agreed I sliced it too thick in the beginning.

Flavor was earthy and smokey. Bold and delicious.

Next time I am going to slice thinner and try the rotisserie again. If you didn't have a rotisserie grilling the marinated chunks right on the grill would probably be good as well.

Thanks for looking!

Looks good! Thanks for sharing...now the rest of us know what not to do!

Ryan

Still a success! You did some quick thinking and pulled it off for a great meal! Thank you for sharing, I'm going to try the marinade!

I attempted Pork Al pastor for tacos last night.

First things first, the marinade. It was delicious and I don't think I'd change it.

1) 3.5 oz package of achiote paste
2 tbsp of guajillo chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
1 cup pineapple juice
3/4 cup white distilled vinegar
View attachment 526049
The achiote paste is supposed to dissolve in vinegar, but it was like a clay almost. I put on some gloves and broke up everything up using my fingers and rubbed marinade into the meat. If you had a blander might be a good idea to try blending the paste and vinegar before adding marinade. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours.

Annnnnnnd here's where I screwed up. I cut my slices waaaay to thick at 3/4 inch. Live and learn. Next time I am shooting for 1/4 slices. I have considered maybe cutting deep slices into the butt while leaving it intact too. Kinda like a ham. You would have to work the marinade in-between the slices but might work.

Anyway, the next evening I loaded my giant slices into the spit and went to the rotisserie on my Weber. Hardwood briquettes with chunks of mesquite and pecan on top for smoke.
View attachment 526050
The big slice didn't want to all stay in place in the spit and some were flopping around. I should have used some butcher twine to tie it up but after a couple coronas and an empty stomach I wasn't thinking the clearest.

It was in the rotisserie for about 2.5 hours and got some decent color, but it was getting late and my wife and cousin were getting hungry. I eventually took everything off the spit, cut it up into pieces and finished in the oven.
View attachment 526051
Everyone loved the flavor, but we all agreed I sliced it too thick in the beginning.

Flavor was earthy and smokey. Bold and delicious.

Next time I am going to slice thinner and try the rotisserie again. If you didn't have a rotisserie grilling the marinated chunks right on the grill would probably be good as well.

Thanks for looking!

That looks fantastic. I agree that about 1/4” slices are about right. Typically Al Pastor is cooked vertically and pear shaped. Hot fire and seared on the outside then you shave meat top to bottom all around to serve then continue to sear another layer and repeat. You can also cut off the top 1/4 of a pineapple and cover the top of the spike. This looks cool but also drips pineapple juice down over the meat. The juice is key to the meat final flavor and is a powerful tenderizer.

3B2A1F2C-964F-4418-B2DE-FB228D353AA5.jpeg

1959710D-0831-4FE6-ACAC-C91F9C2ADFBA.jpeg

9CCFE44C-B56C-4878-8745-F8F137F0E598.jpeg

Reactions: nicefly
That looks fantastic. I agree that about 1/4” slices are about right. Typically Al Pastor is cooked vertically and pear shaped. Hot fire and seared on the outside then you shave meat top to bottom all around to serve then continue to sear another layer and repeat. You can also cut off the top 1/4 of a pineapple and cover the top of the spike. This looks cool but also drips pineapple juice down over the meat. The juice is key to the meat final flavor and is a powerful tenderizer.

View attachment 526091
View attachment 526092
View attachment 526093
Yes I wish I had a vertical spit. I like the look of yours though. Might have to steal that idea

Looks great! Reminds me I have not made al pastor in a while.
The rotisserie looks great. But if you dont have a rotisserie like me I do it like SmokinEdge SmokinEdge .

I will get a whole pineapple, cut off top and bottom and use the pineapple meat in the marinade.
I save the top and bottom of the pineapple. Then I use skewers through the meat. Use the bottom of the pineapple to skewer into and put the top of the pineapple on top. You may have to fight gravity to get it from falling over YMMV.

I have a webber grill so what I do is take away the grate and build an "indirect" fire on both sides and set that pineapple/meat in the bottom. Let it rock and roll. You get a good mix of textures.

Damn now I need to find a pineapple haha.

Oh and SmokinEdge SmokinEdge your skewer scares me. Probably my own sick mind. But I like it.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky