Akorn -Thanks!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EOn

Original poster
Jul 1, 2018
It's been years since I smoked pork and various cuts. I really wanted to get back to it. I decided to replace my 25 year old charcoal grill with a smoker. I wanted something that could do it all Smoke, sear, grill. And was new! Looked long at a pellet grill but saw 'the sear' wasn't as simple as placing the food over a hot section and be done with it. I'm positive reverse searing is probably easy. I just wanted easier and familiar.

Decided to go 'cheap' and get the Akorn with cart over a ceramic. I spent the extra money on a digital thermometer, a Tip Top, and cover, etc. Saved a lot over just the ceramic. Thanks!

While seasoning I saw plenty of poor seals. Spent 15.00 on sealant and BGE gasket. Took 20 minutes and boom. Tight as a drum. Thanks for the tips!

After a couple of steak meals to learn how the charcoal burns and heats up I just completed my first smoke in 20 years. 5lb Boston butt. Temp got to 235 using the pyramid method climbing slowly and held. Turned out great. A big thanks to all the helpful people that have shared their suggestions and challenges and mods.

Very happy with the purchase and keep on smoking!

Every time. It's on back patio outdoors. Especially diligent checking the bottom for humidity. Want to see if I can get 6 plus years with steady use and maintenance. Will cover after its cooled.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky