ADVICE NEEDED LUMP CHARCOAL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I usually use briquettes in my WSM, just cause they last longer. My choice is RO, if you use lump, then once again I use RO. JUST DON’T USE COWBOY LUMP!
It’s like fireworks going off in your smoker.
Al
Thanks AL. That's the message I've been getting, don't use Cowboy. RO seems to be the consensus of the people here, and that's more than good enough for me.

MJB05615 MJB05615
Kind of off topic here, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
You can also use the ash from lump charcoal on your plants/garden as long as they aren't acid lovers.
You can't do that with briquettes due to the binders. I toss that stuff in the garbage.

Reactions: MJB05615
Just got the Masterbuilt Charcoal Smoker today. Gonna have it up and running by Friday. It takes Charcoal briquets and or Lump Charcoal. I have no experience in this area as I've been using my MES 40 for years, Just wanted to try something different. So I'm assuming standard Kingsford Briquets are ok. But which Lump charcoal would anyone recommend? We're partial to Hickory flavor on most of our cooking. Thanks as always.
Mike--I am sure you don't need advice from this Newbie Dummy--BUT Home Depot carries Royal Oak Lump

Mike--I am sure you don't need advice from this Newbie Dummy--BUT Home Depot carries Royal Oak Lump
I'll take advice from everyone. I'm no expert, and if you are like me, I only give advice on things I'm completely sure of and comfortable advising on. Thanks for the info, HD is on my list to check pricing and availability once I figure how much I'll need. I like to keep enough on hand for 3-4 cooks, and replenish as needed. I'm definitely starting out with Royal Oak.

Reactions: Millberry
I really think you're overthinking this just go buy a bag of Kingsford or Royal Oak and start cooking.:emoji_laughing:
Fogo makes an excellent lump as well but it's hard for me to find, so I normally buy an off generic brand that they sell at our restaurant supply or Royal Oak from Wally's World.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I really think you're overthinking this just go buy a bag of Kingsford or Royal Oak and start cooking.:emoji_laughing:
Fogo makes an excellent lump as well but it's hard for me to find, so I normally buy an off generic brand that they sell at our restaurant supply or Royal Oak from Wally's World.
You're probably right, Ft. Overthinking is one of my vices, lol. I still have to get this thing built and up and running. Weather has been cold and rain most of the week. Still hoping to be ready this weekend.

• Haha
Reactions: forktender

Love the FOGO especially in the black bag.
Like you, I can't find any FOGO lump stocked locally, so I end up ordering it online.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky