Advice - Beef Short Sliced ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aslack99

Original poster
Jul 10, 2020
Bought these today at Local SAMS, not sure what do do with them now. Inject/rub and smoke ? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3886.jpg
    IMG_3886.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3885.jpg
    IMG_3885.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: JLeonard
Those are flanken ribs and have been sliced lengthwise across the bones, verses the English cut which are sliced between the bones. There are also know as Korean style ribs. Tons or recipes and videos online, but basically they are marinated for 4 or more hours then either hot grilled for a very short period of time or roasted in the 325° range for a couple of hours.

Here is the marinade I like, and I reserve some for glazing.

Korean Marinade –
1/3 to 1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine (or dry sherry)
1/4 cup water
4 Tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 Tbsp finely minced garlic (at least)
1 - 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger (or ginger paste, or cracked ginger)
2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
1 Tbsp sugar
1 teaspoon dark (Asian) sesame seed oil
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp toasted, crushed sesame seeds (we have these in a jar or you can fresh toast them)

I love them with thirdeye thirdeye marinade and grilled over hot coals until mid rare. Like the best flavored steak you ever had! I hope the ones on the bottom are better than what I get from my local Sam's. Almost total fat. I swear next time I go I'm going to pick up 2 packages and give to butcher and tell him to make up one good package from both.

Same as the others, so I'm just reiterating.

Those are cut Kalbi/Korean style aka Flanken, i.e thin cut across the bones.
Best cooked over med-high to high direct heat on a grill not smoked.
I suggest your favorite marinade for 4-8 hours and then direct high heat grilling to 140° IT or higher.
You want some maillard reaction, some sear/char, for enhanced flavor.

Reactions: aslack99
Same as the others, so I'm just reiterating.

Those are cut Kalbi/Korean style aka Flanken, i.e thin cut across the bones.
Best cooked over med-high to high direct heat on a grill not smoked.
I suggest your favorite marinade for 4-8 hours and then direct high heat grilling to 140° IT or higher.
You want some maillard reaction, some sear/char, for enhanced flavor.

And one danger area is when a recipe has more sugar, I've seen some with 1/2 cup of brown sugar which makes the marinade almost like a syrup. A few good drips if you are too close to the coals and you have a fire.

Thanks Everyone, marinade has been ordered. Will do these hot and fast.

Everyone has you covered for how to cook. Just an observation I’ve had, if you see these in the meat case in stores that cut meat they likely have the whole rib sections available. When I see a great price on flanken cut I always ask the butcher for whole cryopacks.

Reactions: texomakid
We've cooked a bunch of these. I always throw them in the Yoder with a nice layer of any beef rub (MeatChurch Holy Cow, Killer Hogs AP rub, or SPOG) and I run them on the top shelf @ 250 for about an hour, then I flip them over and crank up to 325 to finish them off. I actually like to cook them to 185+. It seems to give them a good bark, light smokey aroma, with a really nice flavor. My experience has been they come out tight at lower temps but really tenderize & render the fat taking them to the 185+ range. I can tell they're getting tender when inserting the themo pen when checking temps. Not much meat but the flavor is awesome. There's so many ways to cook these and they're all good.

485A9DD4-CDCA-4C66-8874-5F221A259F10_1_201_a.jpeg

73E1ADAA-F9F3-4F4E-A55D-8E4E3E48061A_1_201_a.jpeg

I've got so many photos - lol. We love 'em - good luck and let us know how they turn out.

No sir - Rub, 100% wood pellets, 250 for an hour, flip them and finish them out hot @ 300 to and IT of around 185 - 200. They're amazing in flavor. Great with grilled veggies, creamy mashed potatoes, Corn on the Cob, or one of my favorites, with your hands! The high fat content keeps them juicy.

Was wondering how you cooked your Flanken ribs and how they came out?
I marinated them in overnight in some Allegro Marinade, and then put them on the smoker the next day. I left them on a P setting of 5 about 175 for a time(cant remember) and them finished them over the sear plate.

The taste was very good and they were not tough, but they were very fatty and very expensive for the amount of meat that was able to be eaten from them. In short, I will not buy them again, but would like to find some Dino style Beef Ribs.

I took pics of the last package I bought. 2 times in a row from Sams bottom layer nothing but fat. Thought might show to meat guy and ask him to make me up good one. I really love these Korean style on the grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky