Adding Probe Port to Horizon Pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pat Razz

Original poster
May 1, 2018
Has anyone added a aftermarket probe port to a Horizon pit? I am concerned that my probes won’t last long if I keep running them through the door. I see Yoder sells them but was curious if anyone has experience with them.

Based on info from the forum I bought one of these for my Horizon 16. They make actual ports for probes but this is nearly the same but much more affordable.

uxcell Stainless Steel 6.0-12.0mm M20 Cable Gland Connector with Locknut

Reactions: Smokin Okie
I have same question bout my OC Brazos. Seems to me that drilling through 1/4" steel is the difficult part

Smoking Okie, it is tough. I just installed two add’l thermometers in the door and it took 3 step bits to get the 2 - 7/8” holes drilled. All three bits are toast but, I don’t think it will be as difficult installing the probe gland as it’s not double steel like the main door. But from what I read step bits and olive oil seem to be the trick. Knowing nothing about drilling into thick metal, I was surprised how after every squeeze of olive oil the step bit peeled another layer of steel off but w/o it just sat there and spun. It took A LOT of elbow grease with my high power drill. Thought I was going to burn out my big drill it was so hot, kept having to take breaks.

A metal person will know but I wondered if a straight 7/8” metal bit would have done better, don’t know.

Based on info from the forum I bought one of these for my Horizon 16. They make actual ports for probes but this is nearly the same but much more affordable.

uxcell Stainless Steel 6.0-12.0mm M20 Cable Gland Connector with Locknut

Thanks !! I just bought two of these off Ebay for $3.10 each. Hard to go wrong at that price. Now, I will have to get my FIL to help drill the holes, he's retired electrician, this is right down his alley.

Do ya think this would get the job done ?

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessories/drilling/49-56-9607

49-56-9609_2.ashx

The key to drilling into metal is start with a small bit, go SLOW as possible with the bit and use lots of oil. If the drill is moving too fast, it just heats the bit and ruins it. I probably would not use a hole saw but that depends how big the hole needs to be. Start with small bit and work your way up. A step bit would be my preference before using a hole saw.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky