Adding MSG to recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's interesting DougE. When I did a side by side breakfast sausage comparison we didn't notice a big difference in the saltiness. I use 1.5% salt. Or at least it just didn't become a factor in our minds.
Got me to thinking though. Now I want to try another comparison. Both with the I&G, one at 1.5% salt, and one at .75% salt. Certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings to cut the salt if the flavor didn't suffer.
I used my normal salt levels (1.5%) and it all works fine with I+G without really elevating the saltiness. Problem is I more or less doubled the I+G in the meat loaf, and that did bring out the salt to the front. It was salty (not horribly so) and unbalanced.

I used my normal salt levels (1.5%) and it all works fine with I+G without really elevating the saltiness. Problem is I more or less doubled the I+G in the meat loaf, and that did bring out the salt to the front. It was salty (not horribly so) and unbalanced.
Not quite double, but the sausage had 0.25% I+G and I added another 0.25% to the whole loaf where I should have just added 0.25% for the ground beef instead of for the total weight.

Looked better than it tasted, but it was still good. I didn't hear any complaints from the rest of the crew lol.

1690170568746.png

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky