Adding fat to sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IA pigsNcrops

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 6, 2019
So I have tried making beef snack sticks, using our homegrown ground beef, but end result seems a little dry. We have excess ground beef from our locker, so I would like to use our own. Question is, would there be a way to add some fat to my existing ground beef to make a better snack stick? Not sure if bacon grease or any other options would work? Thanks

i think you could add some hard beef fat or pork back fat..and use some NFDM to retain some moisture maybe.

Back fat (hard fat) from pork will be your friend. Beef suit or hard beef fat is good also but run that fat up a bit. As much as 70/30, but 80/20 is generally good. You will have to guess the fat percentage of the ground first, then add accordingly.

Reactions: indaswamp
I will give these suggestions a try. I am guessing it is 85-90% lean. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky