Adding Extras to Chips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cloudy_Hog

Original poster
Aug 27, 2020
I saw some guys add some coffee beans to oak chips, and some other people used sage.

I was wondering if you guys had any good tips for additions like this. Things that aren't wood, but might add good flavor to a smoke. Or maybe it's just a gimmick or a "secret ingredient" some people like to pass around.

Reactions: kruizer
Shag bark off of a hickory tree is always great when grilling or smoking, lotta flavor in it so it don't take much on a short cook, some of the pellets for pellet smokers have some added spice's ect but I haven't tried any of those and cant say if they add something or not

I've heard if you toss an onion into your hot coals. The aroma lofting over the neighborhood will have everyone in your hood pounding at your door drooling all over your yard - just begging to be included at your final plating. Not sure if it adds any additional flavor tho.

Chris

Reactions: Cloudy_Hog
I don't put anything directly in the coals or wood.
But I do sometimes place a bed of fresh herbs under meat as they are close to finishing cooking (30min-1hr) in the smoker and on the grill.
It lets the herbs infuse the meat with their flavor.
This works well with any type of meat but I find it particularly effective for chicken and pork with Sage and Rosemary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloudy_Hog
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky